Sending 3020: receiveData timeout after 400ms - not possible to upload sketch

Hi,

I have a problem uploading sketch to Arduino Nano Atmega328P on Cromebook.

After try to upload I do receive a message "Sending 3020: receiveData timeout after 400ms".

I did try it with standard blink example and still getting the same message.

I have a extension version 1.0.14 and Chrome OS version 74.0.3729.58

I went through the forum and saw there are few threads related to this error message, unfortunately there is no solution described and all the hints are not working (I did tried them more times) :frowning:

For your reference the threads are this:

3020 timeout after 400ms

sending 7520/3020 receiveData timeout after 400ms on chromebook

Tried everything in the help page and on the other forum, still nothing works.

Bellow you can see the output of console during upload trial

Please help.

/home/builder/opt/arduino-builder/arduino-builder -compile -core-api-version 10611 -hardware /home/builder/opt/arduino-builder/hardware -hardware /home/builder/.arduino15/packages -tools /home/builder/opt/arduino-builder/tools -tools /home/builder/.arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /home/builder/opt/libraries/latest -logger humantags -fqbn arduino:avr:nano:cpu=atmega328 -build-cache /tmp -build-path /tmp/671347499/build -verbose -prefs runtime.tools.arm-linux-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-linux-gcc/4.9.3 -prefs runtime.tools.openocd.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/openocd/0.9.0+0.1 -prefs runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.0 -prefs runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino14 -prefs runtime.tools.i586-poky-linux-uclibc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/i586-poky-linux-uclibc/1.6.2+1.0 -prefs runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4 -prefs runtime.tools.linuxuploader.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/linuxuploader/1.5.1 -prefs runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2 -prefs runtime.tools.sketchUploader.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/sketchUploader/1.6.2+1.0 -prefs runtime.tools.arduino101load.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/arduino101load/2.0.1 -prefs runtime.tools.core2-32-poky-linux.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/core2-32-poky-linux/1.6.2+1.0 -prefs runtime.tools.dfu-util.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/dfu-util/0.9.0-arduino1 -prefs runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS/4.5.0 -prefs runtime.tools.bossac.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/industruino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-industruino -prefs runtime.tools.nrf5x-cl-tools.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/nrf5x-cl-tools/9.3.1 -prefs runtime.tools.x86-linux-gcc.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/x86-linux-gcc/7.2.0 -prefs runtime.tools.arc-elf32.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/arc-elf32/1.6.9+1.0.1 -prefs runtime.tools.flashpack.path=/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/flashpack/2.0.0 -libraries /tmp/671347499/custom -libraries /tmp/671347499/pinned /tmp/671347499/pokusny_kralik_01

Using board 'nano' from platform in folder: /home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23

Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: /home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23

Detecting libraries used...

/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10611 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23/cores/arduino -I/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23/variants/eightanaloginputs /tmp/671347499/build/sketch/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.cpp -o /dev/null

Generating function prototypes...

/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10611 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23/cores/arduino -I/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23/variants/eightanaloginputs /tmp/671347499/build/sketch/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.cpp -o /tmp/671347499/build/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp

/home/builder/opt/arduino-builder/tools/ctags/5.8-arduino11/ctags -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives /tmp/671347499/build/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp

Compiling sketch...

/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10611 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23/cores/arduino -I/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/avr/1.6.23/variants/eightanaloginputs /tmp/671347499/build/sketch/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.cpp -o /tmp/671347499/build/sketch/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.cpp.o

Compiling libraries...

Compiling core...

Using precompiled core: /tmp/core/core_arduino_avr_nano_cpu_atmega328_f73f8035d4928006c181f54a2aa5f0b0.a

Linking everything together...

/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-gcc -w -Os -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -o /tmp/671347499/build/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.elf /tmp/671347499/build/sketch/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.cpp.o /tmp/671347499/build/../../core/core_arduino_avr_nano_cpu_atmega328_f73f8035d4928006c181f54a2aa5f0b0.a -L/tmp/671347499/build -lm

/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-objcopy -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 /tmp/671347499/build/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.elf /tmp/671347499/build/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.eep

/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom /tmp/671347499/build/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.elf /tmp/671347499/build/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.hex

/home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-size -A /tmp/671347499/build/pokusny_kralik_01.ino.elf

Sketch uses 1906 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.

Global variables use 236 bytes (11%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1812 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

Validating license ...

Programming with: avrgirl-arduino flash -f undefined -a nano (new bootloader) -p /dev/ttyUSB0

connected

reset complete.

flashing, please wait...

flash complete.

Thanks for making your links clickable and using code tags for the output. Excellent first post!

I don't have any experience with the Chrome App or avrgirl. From the console output, it looks like the upload was successful. Does the sketch you tried to upload run on the Nano after the upload finishes?

Hi,

Does the sketch you tried to upload run on the Nano after the upload finishes?

Unfortunately no, it does not work. Although the console seems the sketch was uploaded, it is not :frowning: there is red banner stating "Sending 3020: receiveData timeout after 400ms"

Hi,

I am also seeing the same issue.
"Sending 3020: receiveData timeout after 400ms"

I'm using an Asus 302 Flip Chromebook, ans an Arduino UNO R3.

The problem started after Chrome OS upgraded to version 74.

gglezman1:
Hi,

Hmmm... I'm on an (recent build) Acer, running version 73.0.3683.114. The UNO (a clone) I can flash, but the Nano (also a clone) I cannot. Chrome offers update towards next version; 74? :roll_eyes:

It has worked with my set-up!

Still on version 73, in the online editor I changed the board select to ATmega 328P (Old Bootloader) after checking the specs of my clone here.

After flashing I get a fresh green bar with the message:

Success: Saved on your online Sketchbook and done uploading [SketchName]

Hope this will work under versoin 74 as well.

The temporary fix is just to take out the Arduino board and try again. It's a temporary fix and our developers will fix it soon.

Kind Regards,
Arduino Team

I'm experiencing the same issue.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the board releases the port indeed, but it doesn't seem to be feasible to unplug the USB cable after every upload.
Desperately waiting for the fix.
Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

We've just published v1.0.15 of the Create Chrome app to address this.

You can visit chrome://extensions to check which version you are at, there's an update button on that page to manually update, if that doesn't work you can also try to reboot the Chrome OS device.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Is v1.0.15 of the Create Chrome app only visible (searchable) in the Web Store from a Chromebook? I'm using a MacBook Pro, and couldn't find it.

I have a program (HyperDuino Media Linker) that uploads code to the Arduino, and it has just started not working, apparently because of this, with a recent update of the Chrome Browser.

The Media Linker runs on Mac, Win and Chromebooks.

The Old Bootloader set-up fails now, too. :disappointed_relieved:

I installed the extension ChromeDuino2 and this works flawlesly, so far.

Hi sandeepmistry,

I'm trying to fix Roger Wagner's HyperDuino app, which is having the same issue with Chrome 74.

Can you tell me what you changed in the Create Chrome app that fixed the problem?

We're using the same Stk500 library (GitHub - jacobrosenthal/js-stk500v1: Fully javascript stk500 programmer) and I'm wondering if there is something we can modify in the library or in our code to help with the problem.

Thanks!
-Chris

Just installed v1.0.15 and it seems to work fine. No timeout issue during repeated uploads. Thanks!

I do confirm, that the fix works.

Thank you for Your action.

Kudos!

sandeepmistry:
Hi Everyone,

We've just published v1.0.15 of the Create Chrome app to address this.

You can visit chrome://extensions to check which version you are at, there's an update button on that page to manually update, if that doesn't work you can also try to reboot the Chrome OS device.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Hi,
Still having issues with the lastest update on a Dell Chromebook 11:

it seems flashing to ttyACM0 is the problem, while the Serial monitor just works on ttyACM0, not on USB0

when switching to USB0 the first time, the flash succeeds, but after that both ways fail.
After removing the arduino, the option switches back to ttyACM0, but setting it back to USB0, then flash succeeds.

and keeps working, until you have to open the serial monitor ( which doesnt work on ttyUSB0)
serial monitor always shows ttyACM0, you cannot change it to USB0 anymore, until you remove the device and reinstall it

to sum it up:
Plugin device and start arduino create, select USB0 as port and flashing works. (several times)
Opening the Serial monitor, always changes to ACM0, which is unable to flash.
Only way to solve it is to close the serial monitor and remove the device and reinsert it, after wich you can switch back to USB0

My class is also having this issue. When they upload it onto my Macbook with the downloaded software, there is no issue, but they are unable to upload onto their Samsung chromebooks. I have tried pressing the reset at different times after uploading, unplugging and replugging in the USB port, refreshing the web page, nothing is working. Any updates on this issue?

@Keoraf which board are you using? Are which version of the Create app is shown in chrome://extensions

We're using Genuino Uno boards that come in the SparkFun Inventor's kits. And we are using the latest version of the Create app, 1.0.15. Sometimes it works and then there are times when it just doesn't work at all and I'm having to use my personal laptop for my whole class.

Email support told me to post the issue here, but its been more than a month, still no solution.
come on guys :slight_smile: help us out

gglezman1:
Hi,

The same thing is happening to me. Uno R3, Toshiba Chromebook 2