(Single row) SMD/surface mount (male) headers

hey gang--

I'm wondering if anyone know where I can find some SMD/surface mount MALE headers

in both 2.54mm & 1.27mm spacing..

the trick is.. that I'd like ALL the headers to face the same direction.. (or I could attempt to manually change all to face one side I suppose?)

Sorts like these.. but NOT dual row:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x40-Dual-Row-1-27mm-SMD-Surface-Mount-Straight-Male-Pin-Header-Pack-of-5/382475950375

If these were cut right down the middle length wise..they would be perfect.. (if I could get them in both spacing specs)

update:

Upon closer inspection.. I -thought- the black casing/housing for the pins had a notch in them to allow them to sit level on the PCB... is this not the case?

And if so (not)... then what are the different between these and any right angle headers then?

On a side note.. what would you use as a footprint/part for these in EAGLE? Just regular SMD pads?

How many positions?

FWIW, I’ve never seen any vertical pin singles with the smd pins on the same side. Horizontal yes, verticals no. I suppose if you didn’t need more than a handful of pieces, you could extract alternate pins and reinsert.

The 2.54 Samtec pins I have for Teensy’s could be split with a micro saw but I doubt you could do that with 1.27’s.

If you have no luck finding what you need, my recommendation would be to call Digi-key. They have excellent customer service and they’ll help with questions like this.

If it only has feet on one side then it will fall over during soldering. The designers of SMD packages are mechanical engineers who work against gravity, vibration and everything else.

You could try pulling the pins out of a regular one and flipping them. Leave two extras on the ends with the feet going the 'wrong way' and cut them off after soldering.

MorganS:
If it only has feet on one side then it will fall over during soldering. The designers of SMD packages are mechanical engineers who work against gravity, vibration and everything else.

You could try pulling the pins out of a regular one and flipping them. Leave two extras on the ends with the feet going the 'wrong way' and cut them off after soldering.

That was my idea so far!
Make sense abut the falling over.. just looking to 'save space' I guess.. :slight_smile:
We'll see.. I have a few on order.. (not as cheap as regular packs of headers.. WOW!