Different efficiencies in stopping DC motor via L293D?

I have never used bitlash, so I don't know what those commands do.

Sorry, I am so used to bitlash that I (incorrectly) thought it is clear, its an Arduino playground project:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Bitlash

I also don't know what the numbers are for stop1 to stop4.

These are the functions I defined with different stop behavior, see the output of "ls" command in previous posting.

I don't know which Arduino board you are using,

Arduino Pro mini, no board, see the photo above.

and I don't know which Arduino pins are connected to what.

pin8: 1A, pin9: EN1,2, pin10: 2A

Are you using analog pin A9 ? Which small Arduino board has A9 ?

No, "d8=0" is bitlash short form for "digitalWrite(8, 0)", "a9=255" is short form for "analogWrite(9,255)" (9 is PWM pin).

The L293D has transistor outputs. I think the "fast stop" will only work with the 4 diodes as in the datasheet.
The L293D has also internal clamping diodes, perhaps they can do that as well for small currents.

I read and thought that the "D" in L293D (compared to L293) mean that I do not need external diodes.
Each motor takes 0.21A at maximum efficiency, and I did drive the motors with 12V from 3 LiPos (see data sheet).

With the enable low, the outputs should be high impedance.
That should result into a free running unpowered motor.
However, the diodes are still there, causing a circuit that does not allow free running.

That explains the behavior of stop3 versus stop4:
Setting speed to 0 in stop3 before stopping seems to be free-running then (2.72s).
Setting speed to 255 in stop4 [same as digitalWrite(9,HIGH)] seems to be full motor stopping (1.80s).

Some Arduino users set a reverse current for a short period for a faster stop.

I did that experimentally, but it does not sound healthy and I did read at several places that full speed reversing of motor is not something one should do, hear into this youtube video (reversing direction at full speed every second):

Perhaps I will have to give it a try.
I did normal stopping with my Arduino Uno robot at speed of 3.1m/s after 2 seconds (the LED gets turned on then) at the leg of grand piano 1.5m ahead of kitchen door:

The (high) speed did not avoid (loud) hard stop at kitchen door:

Here is complete "Arduino robot, first autonomous full speed test" video:

The used motors and wheels did show 9.89m/s in Motor test station:

The weight of robot was comparable, not sure why Arduino Uno robot did "only" 3.1m/s at full speed.
If it is friction at half table tennis ball (the only real difference) then I would not have awaited to loose more than 6m/s.

I am trying to get even more speed by more powerful motors.
And the robot has ultrasonic sensor now with range 2-400cm:

But even 4m is short notice if I cannot get stopping under control.

"Thunderstorm" robot does 3.1m/s on average with many turns, and is able to stop nearly immediately:

Not sure how to stop that abrupt, but the video proves that it is possible.

You could try a modern mosfet motor driver.

What would be the advantage of a mosfet driver over L293D?

Hermann.