ESP8266

@westfw

As far as i can see, The stuff in ElectroDragon appears mainly to be about the AT firmware version 0.9.2 rather than the SDK .

But I agree, information is scattered a around a lot. The esp8266.com forum is not that active, e.g. After 3 days no one replied to my question about the basics of using the code from the SDK lib, e.g why they have a user folder and a separate driver folder, and why there is no main() function.

I can guess that like the Arduino, main() is in a library can calls user_init(), and I suspect the driver folder files could equally well be put in the user folder.

But this lack of core knowledge makes building for this platform quite challenging.

Since my last posting, I have managed to get the ADC to work, but I had to solder a wire directly onto the esp8266, which was quite difficult and is not very robust, due to the small surface area for the solder.
Hence I have used hot glue to hold the wire in place. It's messy but it works :wink:

There is a new undocumented API call to read the ADC which supersedes the previous way to access the ADC and seems to reliably read values between 0 and 1V

However I still have a lot of work ahead of me, to send the ADC value to a web service at regular intervals.
This is because there all the SDK provides is basically tcp socket level functionality.

I guess sooner or later someone wil wrap this into a class perhaps, but no one seems to have done it yet.

I have also ordered some ESP-12 variants, which are breakout modules which run all the GPIO pins and adc etc, to the edge of the module. $4 each on Aliexpress, but goodness knows how long they will take to arrive. Definitely not before Christmas

Edit.

I did try to get the PC tool chain working the other day, using Cygwin , following instructions on the web, but gave up as I had multiple issues. But I think in the near future someone will get a reliable PC tool chain working