COM Port is grayed out on Windows 10

Hi i recently upgraded my windows 8 pc to windows 10 and now i cant find my Pocket AVR Programmer or my USBasp, The COM port is grayed out and i cant select anything. The arduino UNO drivers are showing up like they should but not my AVR programmers. Ive tried version 1.6.5 and 1.6.7 of the IDE but i get the same results. I would appreciate any help i can get!

Thanks in advance

I think, it is not IDE problem. Check it in Windows - control panel, if the device is connected, visible and if the driver is correctly loaded. Also you have to have rights to the port if you are not admin.

The device drivers are correctly loaded, they show up in windows control panel like they used to do.
Im admin but how do i change port for them?

Thanks in advance

But Windows does not list it as a COM. In the device manager, can you assign a COM port to the device?

septillion:
But Windows does not list it as a COM. In the device manager, can you assign a COM port to the device?

Ahh, it's USB.

Sorry but how do i assign a COM port to something? or make this work.

A USBasp does not project as a serial port.

You do not need to select a port to use a USBAsp. The port menu is ignored when using a USBAsp to program.

Just select the USBAsp programmer, and burn bootloader or upload using programmer.

Same with PocketAVR Programmer (which is USBTinyISP, I guess?)

You should only get a serial port from the Arduino boards, or from an ISP programmer that uses serial (like Arduino as ISP), or other serial devices.

Thanks for the help!
When I use windows 8 my USBasp and USBtiny both displayed as COM ports and thats what made ma confused.
Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it! :slight_smile: