Acrylic arduino case...

I am thinking of doing a small run of acrylic arduino covers. This will not be a full case but instead could provide a base and 'lid' for an arduino stack. The parts will be done in laser cut 3mm acrylic similar looking to:

but they will be cut to the exact size of the arduino base...

These parts will be done in various colours and can be modified to include engraved text, pictures etc...

I will also be doing a small run of arduino shield seperators, these will be very similar to the bases but will have cutouts for the pin headers. They will stop any connections from one board shorting on another board. They may also be done on 0.5mm laminated ply for shields that do not have pin headers long enough for a 3mm board in the middle.

As a first production run these will be very cheap, price not decided yet, but not much more than the postage...

Post here if interested...

Mowcius

I'm interested in the base/lid idea! Keep us postred on your progress.

Good idea. I created a small run of cases out of acrylic, which I think worked very well. The problem with having a screw down full case as a small run is cost (I would have to sell it for about $16). If you are not covering it for protection, a flat mounting panel may be the way to go.

The image below shows the case before it is drilled for power/sensors etc.

I did think of a full case but there are loads of those available already and it would be more expensive.

I've done the designs now and I'll try and get some cut this coming week...

Mowcius

If functionality is preferred over beauty, one can use this case from Staples, about US$3:

More photos here:
Imgur

I've done the designs now and I'll try and get some cut this coming week...

Happy to help test your first run! :wink:

If functionality is preferred over beauty, one can use this case from Staples, about US$3:

Yes, there are those and many others but this is not a case, rather a 'bottom and top' (and seperators) and they will be less than $3 because acrylic is pretty cheap and so's electricity...

Happy to help test your first run!

:sunglasses: There's not exactly a lot of testing to be done but I may be feeling nice... :smiley:

Mowcius

The first 4 acrylic pieces are hot off the laser cutter... Literally :smiley:

Shiny clear bits...

I will post some pictures later once I have got a bit more time to cut the other parts and some more of the base/lid combo...

I am also cutting some 3mm acrylic washers out of the little bits that can't be used for anything...

These will obviously look good with the base/lid and let you space them away from your boards...

Mowcius

Here are some pictures of the first (second) design:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowcius/sets/72157622349824171/

If anyone would like to buy some then just send me a PM and I will sort it out... I could also customise them or do them in different colours if wanted...

I also have 4 of them that were done slightly wrong on one of the corners so are going on the cheap (see the set for details)... If someone wants one then just send a PM and you can have one for price of p & p...

Mowcius

Nice, but I suggest rubber feet. The screws will slide around on hard serfaces.

Nice, but I suggest rubber feet. The screws will slide around on hard serfaces.

Yes, that's a good idea... The screws that were on were just some I had lying around and not the ones I will be using permenantly... I haven't sorted out mounting screws yet...

Can anyone suggest screws with small rubber ends or something because I'd like them built into/onto the screws rather than been glued on...

Mowcius

Now for sale on http://www.duinoaday.co.uk

Niceties :slight_smile:

Mowcius

check your local home store, they sell caps that are attached to a loop, so you can run a screw trough it then snap the cap on top

alternatively piano bumpers, they do not glue on but rather get shoved into a hole, and I might know where to get some (actually i just received about 85lbs of them today)

Hmm, I will try and have a look around. So far I have not had any trouble with the arduino moving as it's normally constrained by wires...

Mowcius

(actually i just received about 85lbs of them today)

Good Lord...For what? :open_mouth:

Good Lord...For what?

Lots of pianos? ;D

Good Lord...For what?

Lots of pianos? Grin

yep (bout 300,000 sq feet of them double stacked)

what are piano bumpers.
hard to find out as non native...

the "textile" stuff under the feet of a piano?
Or the "bumpers" which touch the strings while kicking the piano's brake?

what are piano bumpers.
hard to find out as non native...

I presume they are some kind of rubber foot type thing for stopping the piano keys. What they bump onto when you press them down or something but I thought they were felt.
Really I don't know and i'm probably just making up rubbish :wink:

Mowcius

Or just for random places where the piano closes etc.

http://www.balaams-ass.com/knobgrph.htm

Mowcius