Auto start/stop for generator using Arduino uno

Hi All

Looking for assistance with a diagram to auto start/stop a generator when the power fails or restores.
I will be using an Arduino Uno and will use 4 relay module (10A)

Many thanks
Leighton

This is not a simple project. Its success depends on a lot more than the correct wiring of some relays.

How much of it are you already familiar with?

You have not told what sort of generator or how it is started now?

How do you propose to detect that the power has failed?

If there is a risk of the generator feeding an AC current into the mains then your system will need prior approval by your electricity utility.

...R

Hi Robin

Thanks for the reply.

I have a changeover which will automatically failover as required but I need to start the generator in the event of a power failure. My home is fully automated (intelligent) and to detect power loss is no problem.

I have done some searching and have come across a few diagrams posted by various people but looks very suspect. I'm not too familiar with Arduino yet but very very familiar with home automation and I am a qualified electrician.

I would like to attempt this using Arduino to compliment what I already have.

Regards
Leighton

Please tell us your generator was designed for remote starting/stopping.

Paul

Devleigh:
to compliment what I already have.

Which is what? Or is it secret?

...R

PS ... "complement"

Not designed for remote starting/stopping only has a key switch. ..... Gotta love a challenge

Devleigh:
Not designed for remote starting/stopping only has a key switch. ..... Gotta love a challenge

Interesting idea. I have a "dumb" generator at the house that might be in need of an upgrade.

So were you looking at bypassing the starter switch with a relay between common & positive or go series with a new wire that runs through the relay and into the starter?

How will the Arduino know to open/close the relay(s)? Wireless? Wired sensor on mains either ran to the generator or the transfer switch?

Also consider a solution that monitors the generator circuit breaker in case it trips. The generator will still run but not produce any power which could trigger the Arduino to "start" the generator.

So were you looking at bypassing the starter switch with a relay between common & positive or go series with a new wire that runs through the relay and into the starter?

Yes that was my thought or similar

How will the Arduino know to open/close the relay(s)? Wireless? Wired sensor on mains either ran to the generator or the transfer switch?

Those relays would be controlled by the ATS and staus sent to Arduino which would then control the relevant relay to either start or stop the generator as well as shutting off the fuel system with a solenoid valve.

As I initially mentioned I'm new to Arduino so I have to figure out a lot.

I would build a robot person to pull the rope :wink: