Library & examples location in Ubuntu

Where is the libraries folder for putting up additional libraries in case i do not want to put them in the sketches folder? I've been trying to get the DS1307 library in ubuntu but there are a lot of compile errors and it compiles in a whizz on windows (which i dont want to use!)

I would appreciate if someone can shed light. I want this library and the examples it contains to be part of the original set of libraries and examples.

directory libraries at top level in the distribution?

To all intents and purposes, its in exactly the same place in Ubuntu as it is in Windows. (allowing for the entirely alien operating systems) :

I believe it is best to put addition libraries in ~/sketchbook/libraries
That way they will still be there when you upgrade the arduino software.

Hello
you can also do a search on your drive looking for arduino
just do in console
sudo updatedb
then
locate arduino

If you analise the output the libraries are in /usr/share/arduino/libraries/

You should probably put extra libraries in the "libraries" directory of your sketchbook (which you can determine in the preferences dialog of the Arduino software) not within the Arduino application's directory (and not in /usr/share either). That keeps them separate from the default ones and also means they stick around when you upgrade to a new version of the Arduino software.

See instructions here, too: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Environment#libraries

To all intents and purposes, its in exactly the same place in Ubuntu as it is in Windows. (allowing for the entirely alien operating systems) :

Well thats when i downloaded and unzipped them... when i installed them from the distribution list, i couldn't find them...

its sorted out now i've gone back to the downloaded version :wink:

Thanks everybody!