Hello from the Midwest!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Randy. I live in Central Indiana. I have worked as an electronic engineer/technician since 1980. I have also been a self-taught programmer (VB, C++) and have done some web design/coding.

I got started tinkering with Arduino boards about 2 years ago. Some of my completed projects include a timing/metering system for dispensing solder paste onto boards for reflow soldering (also works for glues, etc.), a monitoring system for measuring temperature at several locations in my crawlspace that controls a heater when it gets too cold. (prevents my pipes from freezing), a weather station (wind speed, rainfall amount and rate, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure), and a "Magic Mirror" from a Rapsberry Pi.

I have recently been experimenting with the inexpensive 433 Mhz RF transmitter and receiver boards, to communicate data from my DIY weather station about 100 feet from my house. After working with a friend who has many years experience as an engineer at several radio stations, I have been significantly improving the antenna system, with a rather novel antenna made from a drinking straw. Hopefully I have knowledge and experience that I can share with the community.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Do share some details of your antenna design. Folks are always asking for inexpensive radio with long range.

CrossRoads:
Hello, welcome to the forum.

Do share some details of your antenna design. Folks are always asking for inexpensive radio with long range.

Since I am new here, can you suggest what would be the most appropriate forum for a post about that? I'm guessing the "General Electronics" forum?

If it's a completed project then "exhibition/gallery" would seem to me to be more appropriate.
If you get it wrong, you can always ask an obliging moderator to move it.