5 foot robotic arm

Hello All!

I have a large robot that is 5 feet by 3 feet and about 2.5 feet tall, roughly. I am planning on putting a arm on top of it and the main concern is it needs to fold up to save space. However it also needs to be able to reach in front of the bot. I have an extra car winch (This one from amazon) that I would love to use for this to save money buying additional motors, the issue is I can't think of any feasible way to get the winch to move the arm a full 180*

I attached a simple image showing what I hope to achieve.

You could accomplish what you need using Actobotics parts. They have servo gearboxes which allow you to gear down already high-torque servos for insane power.

Thank you for the suggestion, I looked at the Actobotics parts and they seem a bit under powered for something of this size :confused: .

There are some servos available from Hitec with about 1,281 oz-in of torque. With a 5:1 gear ratio, you should have enough torque for anything.

Isaac96:
There are some servos available from Hitec with about 1,281 oz-in of torque. With a 5:1 gear ratio, you should have enough torque for anything.

9Nm is tiny for a 1.7m arm, 50--100Nm might be more plausible, so 5:1 or 10:1 might be enough. And use SI units please, its so much easier to work with.

1.7m arm, 5kg load, so 5x9.8x1.7 ~= 50Nm

1.7m arm, 5kg load, so 5x9.8x1.7 ~= 50Nm

Did the batteries in your calculator die? 5 * 9.8 = 49. 49 * 1.7 is a bit more than 50.

So with enough gearing down you should be able to move the arm. If all else fails, use a 3 ton car jack, available from Hazard Fraught for only 199.99.