Which WiFi shield to use?

Which Wifi shield is best for a beginner?

I'm brand new to arduino but would like to connect it to the internet somehow. I have found the yun shield (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoYunShield) and the wifi shield (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield).

However, I cant seem to find the wifi shield in the arduino store. The yun shield has a "shop now" link on the product page, but that link does not exist for the wifi shield page.

There is also the Wifi Shield 101 but its out of stock : (

Can anyone advise me on a good shield to purchase thats relatively simple to get working?

What do you plan to do? Usually the way to go nowadays for Wifi is to ditch the original Arduinos completely and use an ESP8266 (I recommend the Wemos D1 Mini). It can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, is much more powerful than the ATMEGA Arduinos und regularly costs less than 5$.

ElCaron:
What do you plan to do? Usually the way to go nowadays for Wifi is to ditch the original Arduinos completely and use an ESP8266 (I recommend the Wemos D1 Mini). It can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, is much more powerful than the ATMEGA Arduinos und regularly costs less than 5$.

Well I am taking a networked controllers class (its a mechanical engineering elective course that assumes no previous experience with arduinos or electronics of any kind so its a very basic introductory course ) and one of our projects needs to access/be controlled over the internet in some way. I dont really have any idea of what I will be doing yet, but we do use arduinos so I would prefer to use something that I can integrate with the arduino board.

Whatever you choose, make sure it supports multiple socket connections if you want to make a web server out of it. It won't be happy times with only one socket.

stonepreston:
I dont really have any idea of what I will be doing yet

Then I suggest to find that out first. If it is something that actually needs a Linux like the Yun can provide, the answer will be different from a project that needs a microcontroller, and there, it will depend on if you need a lot of GPIO or not (though people tend to recommend to still use an ESP in that case and use a Mega as a semi-intelligent I2C port expander)

stonepreston:
d so its a very basic introductory course ) and one of our projects needs to access/be controlled over the internet in some way. ..........
...........I would prefer to use something that I can integrate with the arduino board.

Well, what is the real objective, and does it have to be WiFi?

You might find you can do all you need with an ethernet shield, save money and have an easier time of it. Another option, which I do, is simply connect the ethernet shield to a small WiFi repeater. It is cheap, more versatile, and requires no extra Arduino programming.

For early "play", to get some skills, knowledge, etc, the Sparkfun "Thing" has a lot to recommend it. Yes you can buy cheaper ESP8266s, or ones with more memory... but Sparkfun offers a lot of "Getting started" info.