Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 37945 times) previous topic - next topic

TomGeorge

Hi,
You need to get out in the winter sun, naked  :o   :o   :o to soak up the rays and produce vitamin D.

But don't get yourself arrested, they will put you away and then you won't get any sun.

Tom.. :) :o  :) :o
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Qdeathstar

At this point, does it matter? They would expect it.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Qdeathstar

TomGeorge

What would the neighbours see if the temp is below zero DegC.

(Opps don't go there..  :o :o :o)

Tom... :)

Qdeathstar

A well polished utensil, i imagine.

Henry_Best

What would the neighbours see if the temp is below zero DegC.
He'd get frozen stiff.  :o

Qdeathstar

Just a bit, and only for a minute. 

larryd

They have weather reports on the news in most countries ;)

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

TomGeorge

Nov 15, 2017, 02:40 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 02:40 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
Don't you have access to data like this, from our BOM?

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801/IDV60801.94852.shtml

Tom.. :)

TomGeorge

Nov 18, 2017, 03:21 am Last Edit: Nov 18, 2017, 03:26 am by TomGeorge
well, i had a doctor appointment today... she says i have stage 3 (or 4, i don't remember) kidney disease. apparently my kidneys are only functioning at about half their expected rate, or something. so, no more ibuprofen for my hellatious back pain (degenerative joint disease, AKA: arthritis).

in other news, my weather sensor set should show up today, at some point. i just have to figure out the best place to mount the sensors, and still be able to get to them for adjustments or repairs. the solar radiation shield for the thermometer, and other stuff (humidity, barometric pressure, and whatever else) can all be mounted low.

~Travis
Sorry to hear about the kidneys mate, my wife had hers fail for about 24hours due to blood poisoning.

In the days leading up to it she was very ill.
She recovered, but not full function, fortunately she only needed 24hours of dialysis to come good, but  then had to have regular blood tests.

I get about 5 years out of my weather stations, UV certainly takes its toll, especially in the wind vane and wind speed cups.
My last one died after a lightning strike about 1/2 a km away, when I took it down, most of the plastic was stuffed or lost its shine and one of the cups fell off due to UV of 5 years.

The only thing that was recoverable was the rainguage unit.
The main electronics looked okay, but no Tx.

A lovely Spring day here... lol
Tom..... :)

Qdeathstar

you can put a small fan instead of all that foam and it will take care of the solar radiation. Thats what my vantage vue does. It's controller is inside of an insulated box, then all the data plug in using rj45 connectors.

I think if you had a solar panel that output 7v, then use a linear regulator to output 5v it would provide enough heat to keep things warm enough in an enclosed space.

Henry_Best

As for my weather station, i think i have found a location for it, maybe. before making it a permanent fixture, i will have to set it up, partially, and see what it reports. i was thinking of mounting a 20' (or more if needed) pole somewhere near my CNC camper, and use the front of the camper to house the data collection, the batteries, and whatever i figure out for data transmission. i may be able to use the pair of Xbee modules i have sitting around.
Unless your pole is a foot thick (telegraph pole size), at 20' it will vibrate in the wind and shake your weather station to pieces. Also, you should set it deep into the ground and surround it with concrete.

Henry_Best

Hmm, that may complicate things a bit. didn't really think of what the wind would do to the pole.
Guy ropes (steel cables?) may help, as would a shorter pole. It you decide on steel guys, remember that you'll have to account for expansion/contraction due to temperature variation.

allanhurst

Nov 26, 2017, 07:59 pm Last Edit: Nov 26, 2017, 08:00 pm by allanhurst
Many overhead power line poles  where I live are braced with steel cables and tensioned with  turnbuckles.

They seem to survive the seasons without adjustment

Allan

Qdeathstar

Nov 26, 2017, 08:57 pm Last Edit: Nov 26, 2017, 08:59 pm by Qdeathstar
It is only going up 20ft...  Get a 30ft flag pole and be done with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/YesHom-30-ft-Flag-Pole-Kit-Telescopic-16-Gauge-Aluminum-Flagpole-Free-3-x5-US-Flag-Ball-Fly-2-Flags/469521038?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1913&adid=22222222227071688088&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=181792617098&wl4=pla-285060371882&wl5=9008542&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113510113&wl11=online&wl12=469521038&wl13=&veh=sem

You only need to but the aenometer on the top of the pole. Telescoping for easy retrieval.  If you don't but a flag on the pole and just but the aenometer on top, it won't wobble to much. These things survive huge sails being attached to them (flags) a couple of pieces of plastic won't be a problem.

Go Up