Transformer Problems

Ok my problem is no matter how i hookup these transformers i have they only give a few mil volts ive tried every which way but just keep getting low voltage the person i bought them from claims they can get like 2 or 3 hundred volts using a battery and yes ive made oscillator circuits and many of them but still fail so i took a disposable camera apart to see how it was built tried building it off of that nothing so
im really close to giving up and yea i know i have no grammars my "step up transformer" plugs in to my breadboard it has 4 leads on one side and 5 on the other thanks for any help i also used a 555 chip still nothing

Hi,

Can you post a picture of the transformer please.
They could be pulse transformers, designed to give a short pulse to trigger a xenon tube or triac/scr/thryristor.

Thanks.. Tom..... :slight_smile:

k ill see if it will let me post a pic well just found out there is a time limit between post so it will be a min before i can try to post the picture and ive looked up camera flash circuits built them but nothing

Ok my problem is no matter how i hookup these transformers...

What is "these transformers"?

he person i bought them from claims they can get like 2 or 3 hundred volts using a battery and yes ive made oscillator circuits and many of them

You do need a circuit of some kind. Transformers don't work with DC. You need the right transformer and the right circuit. And, you can't overload the output. (Transformers don't magically create energy... A step-up transformer steps-up the voltage and steps-down the current.)

You can usually get a pretty high voltage for a short period of time... high enough to shock yourself... by connecting a transformer or coil to a battery and then disconnecting it. It's the disconnection that gives the kickback voltage. That's that basic principal that makes a spark plug coil work.

so i took a disposable camera apart to see how it was built tried building it off of that nothing.

Maybe if you search, you can find a schematic for camera flash.

heres a pic of the transformer im using and it did not add the attachment -_-

lets see if this works -_- so it seems i cant get the photo to upload hmm since i cant seem to get the photo on here ill talk about it a little bit the 4 leads two are connected and the other two are connected i tested them with a multi meter and on the other side there is five leads and like the other side two are connected and the other two are connected but the last lead its not connected to any other lead ive used about every circuit i could find to get it to work but still nothing ive used camera circuit diagrams and used other transformers but nothing and im using pulsed Dc from a 555 and a transistor circuit so idk what the problem is thanks for any help

What frequency, voltage and transistors?

honestly i have not clue what fq it is and transistors i tried a pnp and npn for the oscillator circuit and voltage is 3 volts but really ill try about any circuit i have the parts for

Hi,

Use REPLY rather than QUICK REPLY and it has an attachment facility, so you can post your image as an attachment.

What is your transformer made of, is it metal laminations or a powdered grey solid core?

Tom..... :slight_smile:

No clue of what it is made of sorry but i do think i found a problem with one of my transformers the one i think i found the problem of the 4 lead transformer i did a continuity test and the two leads of the input were connected and the 2 output were not so im guessing that might be a problem not sure im new to transformers let me know if im wrong :frowning:

If you are creating a varying voltage using a 555 or transistor oscillator and then looking at the output voltage with a digital volt meter, you will never have any success. Use an oscilloscope.

Paul

im to broke for a scope im so broke i cant even buy most parts and tools i need to work on things :frowning:

Hi,
What size and format is the picture.

just seen while trying to upload it again that it needed to be 1MB or smaller so i edited it and lets see if it works

and it still wont upload its a jpg and i edited to under 500kbs still did not work so at this point all i can do is ask if i have four leads on one side and the two side by side are connected and the other two are connected using continuity setting on the meter and the five leads on the other side the ones side by side are connected like the other side is but the fifth lead is not connected to a wire what would that be for and how would u hook it up if u neglect the fifth lead cause ive tried about every hook up imaginable and since i cant get the pulsed dc to work i soldered in to the camera circuit and connected a lead before the diode now the meter says i have ac can i use that to try to test the transformer ive tried but still nothing so im really at a loss :frowning: im new to these things

Hi,

What is your transformer made of, is it metal laminations or a powdered grey solid core?
What are the dimensions?

not sure im new to transformers it did not seem to have those metal E and I pieces just a solid metal around the windings oh and its small like quarter sized

Hi,
We don't have quarters (coins) in Australia.
But I suspect its small.
How big, mm (millimetres).

Tom.... :slight_smile:

i dont have a ruler around but i would say its about the size of a soda or cola lid

Hi,
Sounds like it is a SMPS transformer or audio transformer.
Have you had a look on digikey or other supplier for something looking similar?
Or do a google image search.