Ping))) and Midi

Hello people,

I have a little problem which has big consequences. It belongs my bachelor thesis.

I use 3 Ping))) sensors and convert their value into midi messages via the midi library. The values the ping sensor send via midi were perfect for short distance but for a distance in 2,5m range it just jumps around. Is there a work around for it, or should I use other sensors.

Thank you so much for fast answers!

Klaus

First off, it might help if you posted your code for converting the sensor data into the MIDI format. I don't have much experience in MIDI specifically, but I'm sure there are posters who are and if they actually have the code they might spot a bug you missed in the conversion process.

Also, according to Parallax the maximum sensing distance is ~3m so if you need absolutely need appreciably more than 2.0m for your project it could be worth it to get a different type of distance sensor, since your getting somewhat close to the maximum range specifications already. However, I have a suspicion the real problem is your software and not the sensors.

klausschueller:
Hello people,

I have a little problem which has big consequences. It belongs my bachelor thesis.

I use 3 Ping))) sensors and convert their value into midi messages via the midi library. The values the ping sensor send via midi were perfect for short distance but for a distance in 2,5m range it just jumps around. Is there a work around for it, or should I use other sensors.

Thank you so much for fast answers!

Klaus

I've got an ultrasonic library that may give you better results. I'm also looking for someone with a PING))) to test. If you want to try it out, let me know and I'll get you a copy that works with PING))) sensors. For more information on my library see this thread: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,106043.0.html

Tim