IC Fabrication Company...

I am planning to start a IC fabrication business. It is about designing circuits, printing and fabricating them into commercial circuit boards. I need all the machinery and raw materials to make them. Is there somewhere I can get these stuff? Please Suggest

Thankyou

Are you talking about making the actual chips, packaging the die, etc? Or just mounting components manufactured by others onto PCBs that you may or may not manufacture?

just mounting components on PCBs. Creating my own circuit design, making commercial pcb and mounting components in them.

For surface mount your best bet is pick and place machines.

Pick and place. Seriously? Dude. I need to print my circuits in pcb. To create my own design and make my own pcb. Pick and place machine? What are you talking about? how will that help. Am a bit serious in here plz.

Thank you

The pick & place machine is to put the components on the boards, which you said you needed in reply #2.
You would use a program like Eagle from cadsoft.de (cadsoftusa.com) to design the PCB, any of several companies that specialize in making PCBs, than pick & place machine to place the components on the PCB and the re-flow soldering to make the electrical connections.

I get the impression you don't really know what you are getting into here.

Well. Yea. Basically am a Mba student. My project is to start a business and show growth in it. Am planning to start a pcb design and manufacture unit. I have little Idea on what to do. My plan is not to manufacture ic. It is only to make pcb. I need to manufacture the board where the ic is placed. What all machineries do I need. What all raw materials are required plz let me know.

I just checked the site which you gave me. I can understand that the circuit is designed using it. The pick and place machine places the components in the board. Please bare my ignorance. How is that design printed in the pcb? How is it done? What machine is used to do that. Please let me know. I greatly appreciate your patience for putting up with me.

Thank you

Ah, so you've scaled back a bit.
Basically, you will buy 2 sided copper clad fiberglass, perhaps in different thicknesses.
Expose a pattern onto the boards, which determines where copper will remain.
Cure that pattern, then immerse the boards in a solution that removes the unexposed copper.
Remove the material over the remaining copper.
Drill holes to all connections from one side to the other.
"Plate" the holes to connect the 2 sides.
Apply a solder mask to prevent solder from shorting between traces and other traces, or copper planes.
Apply/print any labelling.
QA control all along the way, including electrical test for continuity and not shorts.
Cut the boards to shape.
Package.
Ship.
Online ordering.
Payment processing.
Website/Marketing.

This site goes thru the steps in more detailn for how a board is made, with videos too. You can find other similar data online.
http://www.eurocircuits.com/index.php/making-a-pcb-eductional-movies

As to what the actual machines used are along each step, now that you know what to look for, you can search for them online.
Different machines can do different maximum size boards, and I imagine different machines are needed for a simple 2 layer board vs a 4-6-8-12-14-16 layer board, the larger ones used for computer boards and backplanes, often with blind and buried vias (vias that connect internally but do not go thru all layers).

Overwhelmed?

is this just for an assignment for your MBA course?

if on the other hand you are serious, what is your target market?

It is not just for my mba course. I actually am serious about it. At initial stages my target market would be students of all age group.

FelixFelicis:
It is not just for my mba course. I actually am serious about it. At initial stages my target market would be students of all age group.

I am curious why an MBA student seeks information on what is required to fabricate PCBs for their business before doing market analysis on whether the business is viable. Particularly given you have no experience in the field of an established market with well-known players, miniscule margins and a certain level of fabrication quality required that would involve (IMO) large capital start up costs. (Compared to say, Apple, who essentially created the home PC market, or Microsoft, who created the home OS market).

Not to mention lack of repeat business and the inherent low-income (cliche?) exhibited by student populations, where disposable income seems to be directed towards entertainment.

I don't see 8 year old students paying for custom PCB manufacture either. In fact uni-level would be the most likely, if any.

I am also curious what sort of students would rather have someone make their PCBs for them (where the driver would be course related, surely), rather than make them themselves.

Can I ask why you have chosen custom PCB manufacture as your business? Have you ever done anything in the electronics field?

CrossRoads:
This site goes thru the steps in more detailn for how a board is made, with videos too. You can find other similar data online.
http://www.eurocircuits.com/index.php/making-a-pcb-eductional-movies

Brilliant link, thank you.

My under graduation is electronics based. I have done programming and made my own projects using dotted PCB. From the link posted It seems that the intial setup cost might be in millions. Is there ways to cut these cost off? I am looking for a cost effective setup. Manufacturing PCB is in parallel with Institutes which provides course on how to use them. It will also be available in online retail store.

I have seen small scale manufacturers having their name in circuit boards that they design. SparkFun has their own pcb boards. Do they have the same setup? Simple Labs, Basha electronics, sunrom are some online retailers who manufacture pcb on their own, from what I know, they have more cost effective methods of producing them. Could you please suggest on this.

I am not giving up on this PCB stuff though. If its not cost effective, I would think about outsourcing it. But I am hoping that there would be a cost effective way to do it.

FelixFelicis:
I have seen small scale manufacturers having their name in circuit boards that they design. SparkFun has their own pcb boards. Do they have the same setup?

You are aware that a company or person need not own a PCB fab to have their name put on a board? Sparkfun makes a fair number of boards, I'm not aware that they own a fab.

I have my name put on cards that iteadstudio builds for me.
Well, my initials and the year anyway. But you can get carried away and put anything you want on the card.

Did you manufacture that pcb?