Genuino Brand

hello

I have followed the Arduino Saga for many years and I have a bad feeling that F. Musto is going to be a thorn in the Arduino community for a long time.

Many boards are being found to lack the necessary documentation to truly be called and labeled "open hardware".

I have a significant investment in Arduino boards and accessory.
I do not want to find that it is all worthless.

I have all ready come to the conclusion that the Arduino Yun and Arduino Tian are both no longer viable for being used in any projects. Any other Arduino boards which have doghunter and/or linino on the backside are also being considered no longer viable.

I am afraid to say it, but I think that Arduino needs to start all over again with the basic boards and IDE. rebuild the Arduino Community and put time and distance between the Phoenix Arduino and the past many years.

Arduino Phoenix raising from the ashes of the old Arduino.
Sounds like a good name for a new board.
Arduino Phoenix.

@artisticforge

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about most things Arduino.

As far as the community I see no need to re-build as it is doing quite nicely and expanding quite well into some areas that were slightly neglected eg. the EDU side is doing quite well and gathering a lot of traction especially with the CREATE and Chromebook side of things.

From my own POV I think it will take time for the dust to settle as nobody really walks away from such a mess unscathed. But looking on the bright side I can only see good things ahead.

Nobody actually knows the full details of the re-merger so anything we say is pure speculation and if you want to speculate nothing but bad that is your view and you are welcome to it. It is not my view.

Your online persona gives off a very similar one to another user who had almost identical views "Adafruit" Are you two linked ? eg sock puppet etc. ? (honest question BTW)

As far as the YUN...Apart from the crappy soldering on the USB connectors mine has worked pretty flawless and was even better after I upgraded it. Only reason its not in use is the faulty connector (from new) but then again it does say ORG on the back LOL. I would love to get a CC one to compare the quality but funds don't run to it right now.

Have had the good fortune to work with some of the backroom and I have to say I am exceptionally impressed with what they do and how well they do it. And NO I am not associated with them nor do I get paid by them. I am simply here to give back where I can...

CC has always given me a positive vibe when I have dealt with them and I am putting ORG as water under the bridge.

You should too.

ballscrewbob:
@artisticforge

Your online persona gives off a very similar one to another user who had almost identical views "Adafruit" Are you two linked ? eg sock puppet etc. ? (honest question BTW)

There is only one of me. I have no idea who "Adafruit" maybe on this forums. I would assume that it would be someone associated with the adafruit web site and business.

Arduino still has not hit the bottom yet. Many retail stores just no longer carry Arduino products. Radio Shack retail store are basically gone. The Mircocenter.com retail stores sell Arduino clones and knockoffs.
Frys.com retail stores are not much better. Most are either Grove or SeeedStudio. I do have one Robotale board which is a poor Chinese clone.

I have been trying for several weeks to get an answer concerning the CTC-101 kit.
Thunderous silence is the response.

Intel has all but left the Arduino community. The Arduino 101 is End-of-Life. Edison and Galileo never had much of a following.

The Arduino Yun & Tian are both tainted boards given the involvement of Doghunter and Linino.
Those two board names should be killed off as soon as possible.

Replace with the Arduino Phoenix.

The recovery of Arduino is going to take a long long time.

artisticforge:
The recovery of Arduino is going to take a long long time.

Think of it as a great opportunity for you to help with the recovery.

...R

Thanks Robin and well said.

There is enough negative in the world without adding to it.
I seek out tiny doses of good karma in here by doing just what you suggest.

Robin2:
Think of it as a great opportunity for you to help with the recovery.

...R

I wish that were possible but it is not.
Soon i will be 65 yrs old and I am dying.
definitely closer to the grave than the cradle.

I am sure Robin would loan you the Curmudgeon title for a while...
After all he has shown a marked sense of humour recently so I don't think he would miss it :slight_smile:

@artisticforge, I am already 65 years old and, like everyone else on the planet, I am dying one day at a time.

If you are in the unfortunate situation of dying more quickly that the rest of us at least you can be thankful that you will not be around to hear us say "I told you so" when we discover that the Arduino system is not as dead as you forecast.

On the other hand (to end on an upbeat note) it would only take you a few days to write a short tutorial about something that might be helpful for a newbie, and hopefully your life expectancy will extend that far.

...R

Ha..I am younger than you R2..OK not in the grand scheme of things (5 years) but enough to call you old.

Robin2:
@artisticforge, I am already 65 years old and, like everyone else on the planet, I am dying one day at a time.

If you are in the unfortunate situation of dying more quickly that the rest of us at least you can be thankful that you will not be around to hear us say "I told you so" when we discover that the Arduino system is not as dead as you forecast.

On the other hand (to end on an upbeat note) it would only take you a few days to write a short tutorial about something that might be helpful for a newbie, and hopefully your life expectancy will extend that far.

...R

It is sad that you find another person dying so amusing and something to joke about.

artisticforge:
It is sad that you find another person dying so amusing and something to joke about.

It is your choice between feeling sorry for yourself or deciding to enjoy life.

I certainly won't be in the least bit bothered if I die. I came to terms with that very many years ago.

...R

artisticforge:
Arduino still has not hit the bottom yet. Many retail stores just no longer carry Arduino products. Radio Shack retail store are basically gone. The Mircocenter.com retail stores sell Arduino clones and knockoffs.
Frys.com retail stores are not much better. Most are either Grove or SeeedStudio. I do have one Robotale board which is a poor Chinese clone.

I have to totally disagree with you. Arduino.cc went through some growing pains a few years back but the community - represented by this forum - is strong. Yes, brick & mortar retail stores like Radio Shack, Fry's, and Sears are a dying breed, replaced by e-commerce sites and internet stores. That, my friend, is what progress must be.

Annual product models come and go, just like lady's fashions, but the interest in them thrives and the newer models such as the MKR1000 offer much more than the originals.

There's a great and marvelous future.

if.png It's a big if.
If Arduino was interested in selling stuff, they would have employees here in the forum fixing problems and generally pitching in, as the Adafruit employees do on the Adafruit website forums. And they would be responsive to emails sent to the store. Perhaps there is just a general lack of interest on their part. It would be nice if that would change, because I think there is potential. It would be nice if Arduino made the Circuit Playground, that sure would be a nice official Arduino board, they could probably sell gobs of those.

if.png

@dmjlambert

Have you not noticed the slow influx of ardi employees in some sections of the forums ?
member status actually reflects they are employees.

Also the amount of posts about store problems has also dropped considerably.
And YES I know why that is.

Did you not notice the new CLOUD system ?
That takes a considerable amount of work to make and test.

Then there are the extended EDU programs going off that most of us never even hear about.

I think they are far from disinterested just as stretched as ever with each new thing.

Oh and there are the new boards that recently came out that need attention too.
BTW they do get it from those who work for ARDI but I could be extra sarcastic and say that doesnt count.

From my POV they have a lot of work on thier plates and deal with it as best they can.
Sure they dont always get it right but even adacostfruit are not exactly saints either.

Yes I see the online version of the IDE. I can imagine that would take a lot of work to get going. I edit and study the core files and do a lot of stuff from the command line, so I have not been very interested in the cloud yet. And yes there are some new products. No I have not noticed Arduino employees in sections of the forum. Perhaps they are in sections I don't frequent. I guess I would expect to see them in the installation and troubleshooting section, suggestions for the Arduino project section, general section. Maybe I'm just not noticing. I will write another email to the store and see if they are responsive.

dmjlambert:
If Arduino was interested in selling stuff, they would have employees here in the forum fixing problems and generally pitching in,

I have mentioned this many times in the past without the slightest effect even though I know some the Arduino folks read my comments.

Customer service for existing products should have a higher priority than the creation of new products. It's not as if Arduino makes any money from its software products.

I can't imagine how a web-based programming system adds any significant value compared to the well established desktop system. You still need a local system to upload code to an Arduino. IMHO this is just people chasing fashion for its own sake.

...R

I would disagree mostly Robin.

Just my POV of course but the online EDU side of things looks to have taken a very large leap and of course it is a PAY system too so YES they make money from software on that side of things.

Semi agree on the CS side but only to a small degree as the newer boards are getting employee support in thier respective sections.

Bob.

ballscrewbob:
and of course it is a PAY system too so YES they make money from software on that side of things.

I stand corrected.

I do hope they have better service for the paying customers.

At the same time I am disappointed that what started as an Open Source concept is becoming commercialized.

...R

Large AMAZON T3 cluster servers do cost big money and its not the whole ecosphere Robin.

Think its pretty safe to say most regular desktop users wont see much change for the foreseeable future.
The cost IIRC is also quite low but multiplied by users in a classroom will add up over time.
last I saw (some time ago) it was less than $1 a month per user.
Think there was also room for bulk negotiations too ?

There were some teething issues but not seen anything for quite some time since they went to a higher bandwidth ($$$)

Bob.

Thanks for the update.

I guess my concern is not over how much it would cost the user - who can choose not to use it. Rather my concern is whether the profit will distract the management from the Open Source approach.

But life is like that. :slight_smile:

...R