Optical fibre cable DAC chip

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to take an audio signal from an optical fibre cable pass it through a DAC0800LCN IC, 8BIT DAC chip and input into the Arduino. I'm trying to use a 3 pin fiber optica toslink transmitter to connect the fibre optical cable to the DAC chip. Does anyone know how to set this up or even if this would work? If anyone could answer this is would be much appreciated.

even if this would work?

No.
The signal in the fibre is not an analogue one, it is digital.

Yeah I know, that's why I'm trying to use a digital to analogue converter chip. I'm only assuming that this would convert the digital signal from an optical fibre cable to analogue, i'm not really sure if it would work.

. I'm only assuming that this would convert the digital signal from an optical fibre cable to analogue

No it won't, this is because it is not a straight serial digital signal. It has a format with headers, check sums and the rest.
It is normally in the form of S/PDIF but other formats can sometimes be used.

...So, you'd have to find a S/PDIF DAC chip.

Most S/PDIF DACs only handle stereo PCM. It's rare to find a stand-alone DAC that supports Dolby or DTS, although these formats are supported by virtually all home theater receivers.

A USB DAC (or soundcard) will play just about anything because the decoding/conversion is being done by the computer.

I understand now, thanks for the help you guys.