8 LED Fade

Hi folks I am very new to all this so please be patient.

Can anyone help with some code that I can easily change ( the colours and time).
Sorry I am dyslexic so coding I find difficult.

I have a project were i am using the following:-
NeoPixel Ring - 8 x WS2812 5050 RGB LED Ring
I want to be able to start up on fade (all 8 Leds together) say BLUE.
Then over a time fade to RED and the back to Blue and so on repeating.

If the fade time can be random, and changing colour easy to that would be great.

PLEASE can some help me out.

Sorry I am dyslexic so coding I find difficult.

I am also dyslexic and so is my son. We have found that being dyslexic is a positive advantage in coding.

Look at the examples that come with either the Adafruit or fastLED libiary. It is basic stuff and there are examples that show this.

However I would recommend you go through the basic examples in the IDE to gain experance in programming first.

GrumpyMike shared some code that had a fade function as a state machine. I used it in a sketch for a 8pixel ring.

The thread

Hi folks many thanks for all the advice etc.....
I will have a go at coding.

I also asked on here for help as I am a short programme to get his done I had hoped for
leg up to save me time also.

chris-smith:
I also asked on here for help as I am a short programme to get his done I had hoped for
leg up to save me time also.

Like, someone write the code for you? I don't think these forums work like that.

Sorry I did not understand that we could not ask for that type of help. Like I said I am goi g to have a learning coding and in fact I am.
But I have a charity event soon and time is very much against me. While I am struggling learning coding I am not getting bits done I can do.
I thought putting a call for help was ok.
I will continue as I am then. At worst the leds will be on if not working totally.
Many thanks to all who have put constructive comments and I am playing with those codes.

Sorry I did not understand that we could not ask for that type of help.

You are very welcome to ask for help, but what we will not do is write code for you. If you want that to happen post in the Gigs and Collaboration section and say how much you are willing to pay.

Many people at first confuse helping and doing it for you. These are not the same thing. Help happens when you have written stuff but don't understand why it does not do what you want it to do. You then post what you have written and ask intelligent questions about it, not just say "this dosn't work". At the very least you should say what it does and what you want it to do. You will then be TOLD what you need to do to correct it. This is what we call help here. It does not mean that you post any old demo code you find on the net and we return code that does what you want. If you don't understand anything you are told to do then ask specifically about what you don't understand, don't just say "that all went over my head" because that shows the project is way too complex for your current skill level.

All this and more is contained in the How to use this forum which we cunningly disguise by having it as a sticky post at the top of every forum topic. It is supprinsing the number of people who totally fail to spot this.

We are also not keen on writing code for assignments but will help people understand what needs to be done. It is sometimes very easy to spot an assignment.

Thank you putting me rite. It appears my 1st time on hear and I got it wrong. You have perfectly pointed out my mistake. When I understand the coding better I can ask direct specific and educated questions until then as I learn I will not be so able too.
It's funny I have used a specific program for over 20yrs and taught so many. At the beginning I have found they dont have skills at 1st to ask or knowledge to ask specific question or use the exact terms ..... mainly because they dont know them yet.
Often I have student who need to complete a project way above were they are but I help them get there explaining along the way.
They grasp some and not other bits.
But it's better than saying this is to much at present go do something else.
I took on a charity project and I new this part would be above me at present.
I had hoped for help and guidance which I am glad to say some have and I am very grateful for that. I have taken there suggestions and I have something passable. Though not quite there yet. I cant ask an educated question as to part that is causing me issuesI as i dont know were it is. By the time i have that knowledge i wont need to ask the question........

I cant ask an educated question as to part that is causing me issuesI as i dont know were it is.

No one is asking you to do that. Please read what I said again.
Sure if you knew where the problem was then you be half way there. In fact we have some people who think they know where it is and as a result only post part of their code. Then it turns out that they don’t know, which is why we ask for all the code to be posted.

The ask an educated question was about the advice you received if you did not understand it. If you use the wrong words as long as we can work out what you mean by context we’ll woll correct your words.

Did you actually read that link? From your questions it sounds like you need another read of it.