The new Arduino IOT Cloud System

Hi,

Has anyone tried this yet??

Can it be used with regular Arduino boards we may already have like UNO or Mega??

I had a go, but I was halted by this error:

We detected multiple boards connected to your computer.
Please disconnect all of the boards from your computer, except for the MKR WiFi 1010 you are trying to configure.

I did disconnect all the Arduino boards other than my MKR 1010. But I have various other virtual COM port devices attached to my computer and I guess that is blocking it? Those devices tend to give me hassles when I unplug them so I don't think I want to try it out that badly. It's odd because you'd think it could identify the MKR 1010 by the VID/PID. None of the other ports use any Arduino VID/PID.

terryking228:
Can it be used with regular Arduino boards we may already have like UNO or Mega??

At least for now, it looks like the only options are MKR 1010 and MKR1000.

We may get an official response here:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=596106

If you wanted to investigate further, you could take a look at the source code of the libraries to see how feasible it would be to "hack' in a different board.

I'm guessing they will have some graphical interface that will only make much sense if you're using one of the intended boards. The whole point of this thing is to be extremely point-and-click so the target user probably wouldn't benefit at all from using a "hacked" in Mega.

terryking228:

IoT Cloud developer here, unfortunately as reported in the linked topic by @pert, the IoT Cloud currently supports only MKR1000 and MKR WiFi 1010. We are in the process of adding other boards of the MKR family and Uno WiFi REV2.

We are supporting MKR family because those boards comes with a crypto chip required for secure authentication.

Support for less secure devices (which implement a less strict encryption and less secure authentication) is planned for a later stage.

pert:
I had a go, but I was halted by this error:

@pert this is strange! If you would like to report it in the IoT Cloud section with more informations we can have a look at it.

endorama:
If you would like to report it in the IoT Cloud section with more informations we can have a look at it.

OK. I have done so:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=598035
The problem seems pretty straightforward to me. IoT Cloud simply requires that you unplug every device that creates a serial port from your computer before you can create a device/Thing.