not a real arduino, programmed with IDE still open source?

I bought some arduino on the internet but after when i received them, it were clearly a fake ones. I programmed them with arduino IDE. Is this product free for commercial sale? What are the rules to sale my products with 'fake' arduino's inside but programmed with the Arduino IDE. So Yes, where i need to post the code or the instruction?

Do the boards have Arduino logos on them?

If you pay a drug dealer with counterfeit money, are the Feds going to put you in prison? No, the dealer isn't going to squeal to the cops.

wannesjanssens:
I bought some arduino on the internet but after when i received them, it were clearly a fake ones. I programmed them with arduino IDE. Is this product free for commercial sale? What are the rules to sale my products with 'fake' arduino's inside but programmed with the Arduino IDE. So Yes, where i need to post the code or the instruction?

It's not the fact that it is made by Arduino proper that makes it open source. It's the fact that it is a copy of an open source design that makes it open source. The fake ones are bound by exactly the same rules.

That being said, there's nothing that stops you from selling a product made with an Arduino. Open source doesn't mean free. Open source means that you'll share the designs. But you can still sell them all day to people who don't want to build one. You could even build your own fake Arduinos and sell them if you want. There's nothing to stop you from it. That's what open source is all about.

MorganS:
If you pay a drug dealer with counterfeit money, are the Feds going to put you in prison? No, the dealer isn't going to squeal to the cops.

At that point the cops would probably be the least of your worries.

MorganS:

That's a load off my mind! :slight_smile:
More seriously, if a board has the Arduino logo and it doesn't have the gold polyfuse, it is a counterfeit.

This is very interesting topic which can cause an infinite discussions.

For me, you are free and entitled to make/sale any products that have fake/real arduino components without any violating. However if all we do in that way, there are never have an arduino ecosystem as the moment. Simple speaking, no one can live and work with only water and air.

Therefore I always try to buy at least one real arduino for each dev board that I used and made a little donation for each time downloading software. Hope that our beloved arduino always improves and be good for now and future.