Arduino suddenly wont upload any sketches

Hi all, i have been messing around with a project and out of nowhere the arduino onto upload. ive checked every other forum on what to do and nothing has worked. Changed computers, cables, different versions of IDE, drivers, disconnecting all pins fro arduino etc.

the sketch i had previously uploaded works fine (its displaying data onto a couple of displays), i just cant upload a new one. The arduino is registered by the pc in device manager and in the IDE.

error messages are as shown

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 19232 bytes (59%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 832 bytes (40%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1216 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM7 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\matty\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_890412/Matts_Code.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM7
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xde

avrdude done. Thank you.

it may be worth nothing the the hexadecimal value equal to "resp" sometimes changes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

Are any of the devices the arduino is connected to on pins 0, 1 or reset? Disconnect those while uploading code if so - they are used for uploads, and external devices on those may interfere with uploads.

Hi,

yes i have selected the correct arduino board and port from the ide still not luck.

i have also disconnected all pins from arduino.

if the computer can register there an arduino connected via usb and the old sketch is currently running its unlikely the arduino hardware is damaged?

thanks,

matt

It would indicate that at least some parts possibly all are fine.

In the troubleshooting section there is a serial test that can be used to check communications with the board.

Or if your last sketch had serial print statements that still output data that you can see that would also be a good indication.

If windows sees the board just fine and offers a COM port then it might be worth trying a regular or portable install of ide 1.8.5 to see if it related to your APP version.

Bob.

the fact that the old sketch runs indicates that the '328p is working, or at least mostly working (it could have blown pins, but this is unlikely unless you are aware of some adverse event).

the fact that it is detected as a usb device indicates that the serial adapter on the board is working, or at least mostly working (by far and away the most common failure mode of the 16u2 used as serial adapter causes it to stop detecting as a USB device).

This implies that the board is probably working fine, leaving us with a mystery...

Which Arduino board ?
Have you upgraded the IDE ?

When the old sketch is running I cannot connect and print serial communications with the pc it just won't work or display anything.

I don't believe I blew anything with it but I may have.. I have built a 12v MOSFET circuit but it was working fine before it stopped working.

I do have a little Arduino mini somewhere that I might get up and running. But the uni kit is certainly nicer to prototype on. Worth buying a new chip maybe ?

I'm stuck haha.

Thanks

The only thing I can recommend at this point is that you try burning the bootloader to your Uno. You can use that Mini as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer:

i dom have an arduino nano somight give that a try first. cheers