20x4 LCD Newbie help.

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Arduino and need some help trying to wire-up and run a 20x4 lcd.

I have the a Arduino Duemilanove board with the Atmega 328 chip which i have wired up to a JHD-204A LCD.

I have tried using the default lcddisplay 2x16 sketch and library which works fine displaying 2 lines of code. So i know the lcd physically works

I then tried using the LCD4Bit library and example sketch, but all i get are 2 lines of black squares on the 1st & 3rd line, and the compiler didn't show any problem before upload.

I've searched on the forum and on google and i'm struggling to make it work.

I would be very grateful is someone could send a working LCD4bit (Library & Sketch) that will work with this LCD.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Rich.

ribuck:

This looks like a subset of the questions you asked in the Hardware Troubleshooting Forum. Take a look over there for my recommendations.

Don

Hi Don,

Yeah it is, though it had better repost in the software, as LCD4bit program issues aren't really hardware related, but the back-light issues was, i just didn't know if it was code related or hardware related.

I guess in this post i'm looking for people with the same lcd and working copies of code.

Rich.