Arduino uno programming over OTA with ESP8266

Hello :slight_smile:

I have a Arduino uno and use the ESP8266 as shield to communicate with the Blynk App. And now i want the sktech load over wifi to the Arduino uno. I finde this tutorial

but its very complicated. can somebody give me a easy way to do this ?

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

that tutorial is old. and it is still complicated.

there are more way to use Blynk with esp8266. which one do you use?

Hello Juraj :slight_smile:

I have connect my Arduino uno to Blynk with this tutorial

It use the Blynk sketch builder and the Arduino is connected as in the picture but I left out the resistances

I hope you can help me :slight_smile:

you use AT commands esp8266 firmware (under the hood of Blynk). for AT firmware the OTA mentioned in your post is the only option.

what esp8266 module do you have?

you could use WiFiLink firmware. it is supported by Blink and has OTA support. I used it in my main Arduino project last year.

first step is to replace AT firmware in esp8266 with WiFiLink firmware. can you do it?

I maintain WiFi Link. It was created by arduino.org and orphaned after merge of Arduino companies.

Thank you :slight_smile:

i have the ESP 8266-01

for the Blynk connection i flash the ESP with this Programm: „ESP_DOWNLOAD_TOOL_V2.4“
to the firmware: AT version:1.1.0.0

i try it with WiFiLink

what musst i do wenn i have the WiFiLink firmware on my ESP to connect with Blynk and load the Sketch OTA ?

Itsch:
what musst i do wenn i have the WiFiLink firmware on my ESP to connect with Blynk and load the Sketch OTA ?

you will use WiFiLink library from GitHub and it has Blynk example

I try the tutorial but i dont can verify the sketch at first time the library "ArduinoJson.h" was missing
dan I instaled this and the new problem was:

"no matching function for call to 'esp8266::MDNSImplementation::MDNSResponder::setInstanceName(String&)'"

can you help me ? :slight_smile:

Itsch:

I try the tutorial but i dont can verify the sketch at first time the library "ArduinoJson.h" was missing
dan I instaled this and the new problem was:

"no matching function for call to 'esp8266::MDNSImplementation::MDNSResponder::setInstanceName(String&)'"

can you help me ? :slight_smile:

use esp8266 Arduino core package 2.4.2, not 2.5 beta

Thanks it fixed, but i don´t understand the "Atmega sketch OTA upload support" tutorial i have some questions about it

1. how can i change GPIO5 to GPIO0 in the libary ?

2. What musst i write in the Python ? the sketch thet i wold upload on the Arduino uno ? it not work

3. What musst i do with the arduino-tool-mcu-ota, it do not open

Itsch:
Thanks it fixed, but i don´t understand the "Atmega sketch OTA upload support" tutorial i have some questions about it

1. how can i change GPIO5 to GPIO0 in the libary ?

2. What musst i write in the Python ? the sketch thet i wold upload on the Arduino uno ? it not work

3. What musst i do with the arduino-tool-mcu-ota, it do not open

1. io 5 is set in esp8266-serial-arduinouno-hacked.cpp

the arduino-tool-mcu-ota was made by arduino.org for WiFiLink and was not integrated to Arduino IDE.

the default upload tool in IDE is called ArduinoOTA. I added a support for it to dfu library source code available here. With this version you can use the default upload tool in IDE .

sorry i forgot the pictures at the last question, i don´t understand what i musst do with de Python

Itsch:
sorry i forgot the pictures at the last question, i don´t understand what i musst do with de Python

you don't. use version of the dfu library I linked in previous comment

i don´t need Python ? i have the dfu library but it not works, i don´t have a port to OTA upload

Itsch:
i don´t need Python ? i have the dfu library but it not works, i don´t have a port to OTA upload

the port is propagated over mdns by the firmware with or without dfu library. it always takes some time before it shows up. try to restart the IDE

it dose not work :confused:

1. i installed Arduino IDE 1.8.8

2. i installed esp8266 version 2.4.2 from the Board menu

3. i have the tools/ESP8266FS/tool/esp8266fs.jar folder in the Sketchbook Location

4. i have the Arduino Frimware Esp folder in the Skech book Location

but i have no port, i try it multiple times

i need something network configuration in the ArduinoFirmwareEsp Sketch ?

sure I do not need the program python?

what could be the problem?

Thanks for your help

if you have no port it has nothig to do the with firmware you didn"t installed yet.

check your flashing setup of the esp8266

i use the setups from the WiFi link tutorial, I need something else ? when i connect the USB cable e get the

port from this but i have no port for OTA

the WiFi Link README expects that you know your esp8266.

https://tttapa.github.io/ESP8266/Chap01%20-%20ESP8266.html

I read this and with the sketchs i have connection to the WiFi and the port for OTA upload but when i try OTA upload to the Esp8266 it says always: "no answer"

and when i upload the ArduinoFimwareESP i dont have a Port, i dont understand where i must write the WiFi Settings in this sketch

Itsch:
I read this and with the sketchs i have connection to the WiFi and the port for OTA upload but when i try OTA upload to the Esp8266 it says always: "no answer"

and when i upload the ArduinoFimwareESP i dont have a Port, i dont understand where i must write the WiFi Settings in this sketch

for OTA to Uno the WiFiLink firmware with OTA enabled must run in esp8266. did you configure the firmware over the Web Panel?