Here's an idea for the forum

We should have some sort of text screening service running on the forum that can identify certain words and kick users to a page before it lets them post.

For example, if anyone tries to post with "avrdude: stk500_recv():" in the text anywhere it would automatically take them to a page where they can read all about the normal stuff and maybe one big thread they can all post in if they still can't solve it.

Or if the post contains the text, "chicken coop" it would link them out to some arduino thread on a chicken forum somewhere. I'm sure that exists.

Or if it contains any of several keywords indicating it might be a rant at PaulS because he wasn't nice enough in his answer for them it would kick them over to the Dr. Phil forum so they could work through their feelings and come back here once they're done crying and ready to program again.

And "urgent" in the title goes to a special treatment thread so their homework is not late.

"School project" get's redirected to the OP's tutor.

...R

Do not be so cruel. :slight_smile:

"Urgent" threads should get pinned to the top of the second page.

Qdeathstar:
"Urgent" threads should get pinned to the top of the second page.

LOL

...R

Or you can also add a function that if someone brings up food, it will bump them to any of the food pages relevant to what they typed!! :sunglasses:

hydrolisk1792:
if someone brings up food,

That's gross :frowning:

...R

Robin2:
That's gross :frowning:

...R

That was kind of the point lololololol :slight_smile:

Hi,
Instead of instantly whisking them off to some relevant part of the forum, just get the text highlighted so the OP has the option of being whisked off.

What are you going to do if I ask what sex this connector is.
or
I boobed!!!!

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Instead of instantly whisking them off to some relevant part of the forum, just get the text highlighted so the OP has the option of being whisked off.

What are you going to do if I ask what sex this connector is.
or
I boobed!!!!

Or you're looking for screw on grease nipples with lock nuts.

You don't have to go that far. Try googling "Cstring" from a google account that doesn't already know you're a programmer.

Type a post and instead of it being posted, you get redirected to where an algo decided you should be.

You can lead a horse to relevant threads but you can't make it read.

GoForSmoke:
You can lead a horse to relevant threads but you can't make it read.

No, but you can stop it from posting nonsense until it does.

And no algorithm. That could get confused. I only mean to do this for a few key words that we've all seen way too many times.

Here is a real gem:

To be honest Mike, with twats like you in the place I think I'll go elsewhere, take your head out your arse mate, your not that important ok. If you would have bothered to read, I actually apologised as I had not noticed the sticky as I read the forum rules. No wonder the world is such a crap hole with morons like you in it. To all the others, thanks.

No wonder the world is such a crap hole with morons like you in it.

POINT MADE!

Delta_G:
We should have some sort of text screening service running on the forum that can identify certain words and kick users to a page before it lets them post.

For example, if anyone tries to post with "avrdude: stk500_recv():" in the text anywhere it would automatically take them to a page where they can read all about the normal stuff and maybe one big thread they can all post in if they still can't solve it.

Or if the post contains the text, "chicken coop" it would link them out to some arduino thread on a chicken forum somewhere. I'm sure that exists.

Or if it contains any of several keywords indicating it might be a rant at PaulS because he wasn't nice enough in his answer for them it would kick them over to the Dr. Phil forum so they could work through their feelings and come back here once they're done crying and ready to program again.

I think it is a good idea. Really.

How about a 'black ball' button.
I can never remember a user's name.
When I come across someone who does not deserve help, it would be nice to click a button that stops you from helping that person again, or comes up with a warning that they are problematic.

Some forums have an Ignore button.

Delta_G:

Is that why no one's laughing at my joke? I tried to post a chicken coop joke and never got a peep. Here's the joke:

Do you know why chicken coop have 2 doors? Because if it had 4 doors, it'd be a chicken sedan!

wilykat:
Is that why no one's laughing at my joke? I tried to post a chicken coop joke and never got a peep. Here's the joke:

Do you know why chicken coop have 2 doors? Because if it had 4 doors, it'd be a chicken sedan!

That sounds like a dad joke..... :sob:

It it had 3 doors it would be a Hatchery, (hatchback)

:o :sob: :sob: :sob: