Ethernet temperature sensor tutorial

Hi, i made temperature sensor using arduino (or derivates) http://avr.analogic.cz/

Main reason for doing this work was that almost all tutorials ignore main fact that arduino or ethernet shield is getting stuck regulary. I wanted to create device which will last years without manual restarting using watchdogs and self-reset...

efesak:
that arduino or ethernet shield is getting stuck regulary.

No, they don't. The reason why almost all tutorials ignore this is because it is not a problem, although it might have been the situation when that article was written.

I'm not really sure if you are asking something or telling something but, either way, the comment is the same.

If you have a problem, you will do a lot better if you get rid of that obsolete junk code and the ENC28J60.
This would be a good place to start.

If you don't have a problem, good, and, you will do a lot better if you get rid of that obsolete junk code and the ENC28J60.

The ENC28J60 is fundamentally unsuited for use with Arduino which was designed with the W5100 in mind. Having said that, there is a new library for the ENC28J60 which allows you to use it in essentially the same way as the W5100. You do not appear to be using it, and therefore expose your self to some well-deserved grief, even if it hasn't happened - yet. If you cannot bring yourself to get ethernet equipment more suited to the job, getting more modern software to drive what you have would be a good idea. I assume it improves the reliability of the ENC28J60 as well as making it easier to use.

While most people simply plug a proper Ethernet shield into a Uno, W5100 modules are available for connection to a small non-standard Arduino like you have, and the software to use them is in the Arduino IDE.

The W5100 is not famous for low power consumption and I believe the ENC is better in this regard. It is about the only good reason for using one.

The W5100 is not famous for low power consumption and I believe the ENC is better in this regard. It is about the only good reason for using one.

A project where the ENC28J60 out performs the w5100.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=271341.0

Nick_Pyner:
While most people simply plug a proper Ethernet shield into a Uno, W5100 modules are available for connection to a small non-standard Arduino like you have, and the software to use them is in the Arduino IDE.

I own two unos and original W5100 shield and let me tell you, there is no difference between them and what i have in tutorial beside huge disproportion of cost, its larger and work no better by my experience.

If you are using them at home it works almost ok. I am using them outdoors with unstable power source, with unstable network, in strong RF radation and... with public IP. In these conditions you have to use some kinds of watchdogs no matter which module/device you using, how looks your code or how buggy is ethernet driver (...and every driver has bugs). Its kind of brutal, but at end of the day it works until got hit by lightning. Thats what the article is about - creating cheap device which will last rough conditions.