Converting 220 AC to 5 DC

hello,

I'm trying to convert the voltage from 220 to 5 v to give to Arduino.
This circuit can work?

Good grief!

• well it might - I haven't flogged through the sums.. and it would be terribly inefficient even if it did. If ( a quick glance ) it needed to supply 300mA, your resistors would be dissipating 80 + watts to deliver only 1.5 watts into the 5v load!

BUT it means there's live mains all over the place, with serious safety issues.

Please buy for a couple of quid/euros etc a standard plug-mounted device from ebay or any hobby shop.

Be sure to get a regulated one.

regards

Allan

I thank you for the advice
Please give an example of these devices.
as you can mount these devices?
Thanks again

Nowadays, each mobile phone has 220VAC/5VDC charger with USB socket. Just plug the cable.

NO - JUST NO!

Buy a simple USB-"charger" that you use to power your phone. They are safer and delivers a nice 5V 1-2A

Warning: Don't buy the absolute cheapest ones (ones for a $) since they are dangerous, too. Get a brand-made one.

// Per.

the problem that I have to attack from the wires not from the electric socket

Agreed that is a death trap and will probably go up in smoke.
Get something like this:-
5V power supply

But surely have you not got an old power supply from some defunct electronic equipment? Or do you throw away the power supply when you throw away the device?

What does that mean?

I found this device but do not know how to mount it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-AC-220V-to-DC-5V-500mA-Step-Down-Isolated-Switching-Power-Supply-Module-CA-/142058971090

If attack is actually the word attach, then your best bet would be to use a cable mounted socket and attach the wires to that. Consumer products that attach to the mains must have a fitted mains plug. Modules that allow connection to the mains with wires are commercial products and will tend to be a higher wattage than you need.

Even breaking into the plug and attaching wires to it is a safer option than your original circuit.

Then don't buy it.

ok thanks for his availability.
but where can I buy a cable mounted socket and a plug-mounted device.
Thank again

but where can I buy a cable mounted socket

Any electrical shop should have these. If not:-

and a plug-mounted device.

Already given you a link to one of these but here is another from the same supplier:-

do you think i can use these two components together?

do you think i can use these two components together?

No.

thank you very much
I did not see the post.
you know if there is even plug-mounted device that is 0.5 A
Thanks again

the output voltage of plug-mounted device is constant or varies with the voltage 220?

the output voltage of plug-mounted device is constant

Yes.

or varies with the voltage 220?

No.

All except old non regulated devices and they do not so much change output with the input voltage but with the current drawn. There devices are heavy because of the transformer. As long as the output says it it regulated then this is fine.

amrit94:

I had a GF like that once. :slight_smile:

amrit94:
the output voltage of plug-mounted device is constant or varies with the voltage 220?

Thy have regulators normally so should give 5 V out whatever you plug them into.

UK 240 V nominal. US 110 V nominal input.

EDIT

USB outlet power supplies are 5V the world over, provided you get one for your area with a local plug it will do what you want safely.
A chinese supplied device may not.

There is a commercial device that only makes the transformer and straighten without stabilize the voltage?

Yes some of the cheap chinese supplies are advertised as regulated but some are not.
Another good reason to buy them locally.