Burning Bootloader

es101:
Hi,

I am doing a project which will be a present for a friend. The arduino will be making a box lockable and for all intensive purposes the arduino will be 'embedded' and inaccessible.

Should I burn the bootloader with my sketch?

Or is this not what that means!?

Cheers :slight_smile:

(please move to micro-controllers section if necessary)

This reminds me of the Reverse Geocache box that Mr. Mikal Hart (yes, the same one who's NewSoftSerial library became part of the Arduino 1.+ distribution of SoftwareSerial) did. Read through his blog The Reverse Geocacheā„¢ PuzzleĀ |Ā Arduiniana about the reverse geocache box and pay particular attention to some of the design elements for some gotchas that he avoided. He may even be able to give some pointers (I think I remember seeing him posting occasionally here) if asked politely and publicly.

There is also a tutorial for making a Reverse Geocache box in the AdaFruit learning system. See: Overview | Reverse Geocache Box | Adafruit Learning System

Even if you plan on using another technique for unlocking the box (instead of gps coordinates like the above two examples), you should be able to get some good ideas about the physical latch and layout in the box.

Have fun!