UART2 - Hardware Serial 2 ports in Wemos D32 pro (ESP32 based)

Hi all!

I want to make you a technical question.

I'm using this board and in the past I needed to use the Hardware Serial 1 ports, and I succeded in finding them on the datasheet.

Now I need the UART2 ports but as you can see from the picture attached U2RXD is corresponding to PIN 13 on the board but U2TXD is corresponding to SD2, and I don't know how or whether I can access it.

This is from ESP32 Datasheet

This is the corresponding D32 pro Schematics

I am currently using the board in question for the university project and I had a similar question to your's. We are using UART to get data from a GPS module. I've come to realize that while the chip has 3 UARTs, the board only provides connection to UART0 at the pins 3-RX and 1-TX. This is confirmed from the specification on the board at TinyTronics website (its a version 2 vs version 1, but still the same board).

The interesting part here is that UART0 being the only external UART on the board, also acts as a programming channel for the board. This means that you can't use it for project purposes and for printing serial messages at the same time.

Hope I was of help :slight_smile:

Malakashka:
I am currently using the board in question for the university project and I had a similar question to your's. We are using UART to get data from a GPS module. I've come to realize that while the chip has 3 UARTs, the board only provides connection to UART0 at the pins 3-RX and 1-TX. This is confirmed from the specification on the board at TinyTronics website (its a version 2 vs version 1, but still the same board).

The interesting part here is that UART0 being the only external UART on the board, also acts as a programming channel for the board. This means that you can't use it for project purposes and for printing serial messages at the same time.

Hope I was of help :slight_smile:

Thank you for the information.

I solved this problem when I discovered that quite every pin can be used for UART2 and UART3 in the "hardware serial" setup.

Bjack795:

I solved this problem when I discovered that quite every pin can be used for UART2 and UART3 in the "hardware serial" setup.

Is it realy true that I can use every pin for UART2/UART3? ...also with MicroPython?

lukesky333:
Is it realy true that I can use every pin for UART2/UART3? ...also with MicroPython?

With "Hardware Serial" coding in Arduino IDE it's true, of course you can use quite every pin but you have the limit to 3 Serial ports.

I don't know with micropython.

Bjack795:

Good night, how did you solve the problem?
I have a fingerprint sensor and a tft, I don't know where to connect it

lokikin:
Good night, how did you solve the problem?
I have a fingerprint sensor and a tft, I don't know where to connect it

I don't know specifically for those devices, but if you need to use hardware serial features on D32 pro you can use every pin that is not specifically used for other background tasks (look at the schematics).