Modified 8bit FFT in c

By the way, Arduino has done it to me once again... a project is forcing me to learn more. My successful use of this code made me want to understand it better- wasn't happy with a black box, I like to see the inner workings and understand them if I can.

So, I've been reading through the code.. and then wiki.. and then EE society writeups.. and university papers... etc etc etc. The whole conversion to integer math makes the understanding even more difficult.. bit shift math aside, it's way to easy to get confused with the data format.

In any case, I'm now learning about the math behind this, because of you... dangit... lol.. Arduino strikes again!

The best part is that it is OPEN SOURCE. This allowed me to use the original work without needing to understand the complexities behind the scenes- but when I decided I wanted to see the inner workings, they are right there for the reading.. often with well-commented code and external references by the author for THEIR foundations. Simply put, you can pick it apart to the lowest level if you desire. Same with the TVout lib. These open source libs, on an open source platform- they allowed me to build a project far beyond my own technical abilities with relative ease. This kind of stuff is what Open Source and the Arduino project are really all about, in my humble opinion. If given enough time and reference material, could I have produced the project on my own? Maybe. Doubtful, in fact pretty unlikely. Even if I did, the effort level involved would just be too much to derive "fun" from it. Months of work, hardcore stuff. With Arduino (and the community), I went from idea to working prototype in a couple of hours. How can you beat that? I'll tell you how: by putting the source code out, it allows me to BACKTRACK to understand the parts I want to.. AFTER I've shown myself the idea works...