Snow Removal Ideas

When you're expecting snow, run extension cables up and down your driveway and give them a load....

The heat should keep your driveway snowless (at least, the one running across our yard did)

We've got about three and a half feet on the ground and another foot coming next week, just outside Boston. Nowhere to put the stuff- snowbanks in some places exceed twenty feet. The snowbanks on the side of my driveway are about ten feet.

Actually, there's a house that's on a steep hill nearby, and when it was remodeled an put on the market, they actually installed a resistive heating element system under the blacktop as I heard. I can't imagine that would be that durable... but then again, I can't imagine trying that driveway with ice or snow- four wheel drive or not.

I've envisioned a heat pump system in my head a time or two- remember, the temperature goes up as you go down... and only a few feet below the surface is well above freezing even in the Arctic. Sink down twenty feet, you'd probably be able to tap enough thermal energy with a heat pump or exhanger system. 33 degrees is all you really need..

Sorry for the Imperial measures everyone.. I will be dragged kicking and screaming into Metric. I stuck to my guns, and Google replaced Dewey Decimal before I actually had to pay attention, maybe I'll get lucky again.

CowJam:
How about a big vacuum that sucks all the snow up and compacts it into bricks, then you could clear your drive and build an igloo!

I'm envisioning a snow blower or conveyor belt system combined with a trash compactor.

My yard already looks like it has a couple of igloos! There's this one next to my mailbox, with another of larger size on the other side of the driveway.
The whole yard is 2 feet deep.
The smaller peak to the right is the foot of snow on top of the mailbox, which now looks like a mailbox door floating in the snow bank from street.

Email me some snow!
It's 42C here today!

42C! That's like 110F! Where are you that it so hot?
I had to shovel out the TOP of my mailbox today so I could the flag up!

This was a week ago, feel the coolness coming your way ...

I like the sno-melter from 1960 idea.
It comes complete with flame throwing jets!

Oh, just saw the MiG-15 engines mounted on a truck. That is even more awesome.
Where can I buy one?

Yes, like others I have nowhere left to put the white stuff.

Arrgh - news is now saying another 4-7" of snow on Tuesday, and 12" on top of that with sleet & ice on Wednesday!

It looks like we are getting another couple of days of over 40C

Now all we need is some prick/s deciding to light fires.

Sigh..

Got the fire fighting gear ready, made sure I know where all the hoses are.

cyberteque, update your profile with a location - where are you that it is 40C?

South Australia, near Echunga, google "Jupiter Creek"

Send me your email address, I'll scan myself and you can print me out there! :slight_smile:

Ok!
Done!
If you google "Jupiter Creek" or "Echunga", you'll find a heap of my video's and photographs.
Same goes for a search on flikr or YouTube.
I'm very rabid with my still and video camera and I post a lot!

googling either brings up a ton of hits, no way to determine which are yours. Need something to narrow the search a bit.

Off to bed for me, back tomorrow, give the snowblower a once over before the next 2 storms hit us back to back starting Tuesda with 20 inches of snow between them, topped with sleet & ice ...

On youtube I'm cyberteque,
Last time I checked 4 out of 5 of those were mine!
Like I said I'm prolific!

:slight_smile:

Over the next two days or so, we are supposed to get between fifteen and twenty four (depending upon who you listen to) inches MORE snow, now. The snow blower croaked two storms ago. Chances are the kids are going to have school canceled AGAIN, at least one day if not more. There's also simply no place to put that quantity of new snow. We are going to be facing some serious flooding in the spring if it warms rapidly.

I finally got the salvaged Rovio working (though only about 30mins battery life).. wish it was better suited for ice and snow.. it would be awesome to send it out mars-lander style and let one of you guys from Australia or Europe or whatever drive the sucker around in the frigid drifts of the suburbs of Boston...

focalist:
The snow blower croaked two storms ago.

That sucks.

Chances are the kids are going to have school canceled AGAIN, at least one day if not more.

Problem solved!

National Weather Service forecasts are not saying anywhere near that amount. Can only wait & see now ...

To paraphrase an add for some other white stuff: Got (more) snow?

Wow!
That's gotten quite a bit higher than your last photo.
Stay warm!

focalist:
Over the next two days or so, we are supposed to get between fifteen and twenty four (depending upon who you listen to) inches MORE snow, now. The snow blower croaked two storms ago. Chances are the kids are going to have school canceled AGAIN, at least one day if not more.

Over here they seem to close the schools now when theres little more than an inch of snow on the ground. Health and Safety!