Control of a syringe pump for a behavioral chamber -

Hi all - Making(wanting make...) a custom behavior apparatus and want to control a syringe pump that delivers a sugar solution with an Arduino.

As supplied from manufacturer, pump uses a 28v DC control circuit for the separately powered 115v motor.
can see innards below:

So two options

1. Using a 28v source, is there a controller/switch that will run from the Arduino and do the 28 volt switching, preferable solid state? (There is the beefcake (KIT-1333815 ROHS), but mechanical relay making may be too audible to animals).

2. Is it easier to find a motor controller shield that will just replace the control circuitry and directly work this motor? And perchance a suggestion to which one?

Thanks in advance

SyringPumpControl_boardchip.jpg

To actually get an informed opinion, you need to supply information like data sheets and any other technical information. Who can tell from pictures?

Paul

Little/no technical information is available from the pump manufacturer. Tried searching for motor and no information that I can find, other than it seems Cramer is now owned by a different company. Was hoping people here might know something based on the motor or chip data shown in the picture. Not trying to be rude, but If I could look all the information up, I wouldn't have to be asking.

https://www.med-associates.com/product/single-speed-syringe-pump-standard-speed-3-33-rpm-other-options-from-0-008-to-20-rpm/

Mostly: controller - a milliamp draw, but at 28vDC

Spec sheet for the IC (hopefully?) http://www.vishay.com/docs/83823/lh1525at.pdf

tkremin:
Little/no technical information is available from the pump manufacturer. Tried searching for motor and no information that I can find, other than it seems Cramer is now owned by a different company. Was hoping people here might know something based on the motor or chip data shown in the picture. Not trying to be rude, but If I could look all the information up, I wouldn't have to be asking.

https://www.med-associates.com/product/single-speed-syringe-pump-standard-speed-3-33-rpm-other-options-from-0-008-to-20-rpm/

Mostly: controller - a milliamp draw, but at 28vDC

Spec sheet for the IC (hopefully?) http://www.vishay.com/docs/83823/lh1525at.pdf

Oh, I do understand!

But this means YOU will have to measure and determine all the applicable specifications necessary to interface to an Arduino.

Paul

A simple relay to switch the power on and off as required.
You will need to use the power supply of the device itself and NOT the arduino as it cannot give you enough current or voltage as it stands.

The timing of the dosage will be up to you and your sketch.

Bob.

tkremin:
Not trying to be rude, but If I could look all the information up, I wouldn't have to be asking.

Do you know how many people post here don't even bother doing the basics such as looking at the data sheet?

tkremin:
So two options

1. Using a 28v source, is there a controller/switch that will run from the Arduino and do the 28 volt switching, preferable solid state? (There is the beefcake (KIT-1333815 ROHS), but mechanical relay making may be too audible to animals).

Relay suggests all you want is an on/off signal. A MOSFET will do that just fine for a 28VDC signal. You may have to switch high side making the circuit slightly more complex, but still perfectly within the ability of an Arduino.

1. Is it easier to find a motor controller shield that will just replace the control circuitry and directly work this motor? And perchance a suggestion to which one?

Again if it's a simple 115V AC on/off, then a solid state relay is another option to switch that motor on and off without clicking noise.

If you need more fine grained control, you have to explain what you need, and indeed at the very least post links to the data sheets and other technical details of your motor. The lack of such details means the above suggestions may work fine, not work at all, or cause bad things to happen such as causing your pump to explode.