Putting my photo on my profile permanently [RESOLVED]

I have now added my photo to my profile 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 times. Each time I do so it appears on my profile and on my posts. After a few days it disappears. Please tell me how to add it so it stays, and please tell me why it disappears.

[EDIT] 22/1/2019 Resolved (as much as it can be!) with thanks to everyone that tried to help.

It sounds similar to this:

Thank you Pert, unfortunately no solution in there. Do you know how to bring this to the attention of someone with the power to fix it or at least explain it?

Since the profile picture is used throughout the entire website, this is not a forum-specific bug. Website bugs should be reported in the main issue tracker.

Submit an issue report here:

I already searched for previous reports without finding any in either tracker.

In the issue report, add a link to this forum thread, and vice versa, so it's easy for people to get to one from the other.

Pert thank you for trying, much appreciated.

However, I cannnot report it on GigHub becasue I don't have an account and can't create one. I asked a friend who knows about this kind of thing and it seems that GitHub's security policy is blocking the captcha they are using on the create account page. He tried modifying the page for me but was unable to get it to work.

Having a photo is a nice touch but not essential. I'll report this to a moderator, maybe they will pick it up, maybe it will be fixed. If I get notification of a fix I'll add a photo.

Thanks again for you help.

Perry

I cannnot report it on GigHub becasue I don't have an account and can't create one.

Why you can´t create an account on Github?

Why you can´t create an account on Github?

I asked a friend who knows about this kind of thing and it seems that GitHub's security policy is blocking the captcha they are using on the create account page.

EDIT
Sorry, I'll be more explicit. The create account page uses a captcha, however the captcha is not displayed, therefore I can't use it, therefore I can't verify I am not a robot, therefore I can't create an account. I asked a friend who understands these things and he told me Github's own security policy blocking the captcha they are using. Daft.

Your personal text is too long.

(Moderators have little or no control over this sort of stuff (and, personally, little or no interest), so not really worth reporting it to them)

Your personal text is too long.

Are you saying that is the cause of the Profile Pic disappearing after some time? It seems unlikely to me but you know far more about the innards of the forum than I do.

PerryBebbington:
However, I cannnot report it on GigHub becasue I don't have an account and can't create one.

That is really unfortunate. I'm quite surprised if GitHub has such a bug for longer than a day. It is a very popular site with millions of users and probably hundreds of new accounts per day.

Do you have any sort of ad or script blocker plugin installed to your browser? If so, temporarily disable it to see if it's causing the Captcha problem. Try a different browser.

GitHub account creation is normally very fast and painless.

PerryBebbington:
EDIT
Sorry, I'll be more explicit. The create account page uses a captcha, however the captcha is not displayed, therefore I can't use it, therefore I can't verify I am not a robot, therefore I can't create an account. I asked a friend who understands these things and he told me Github's own security policy blocking the captcha they are using. Daft.

Just checked the captcha functionality on github and captchas are showing; running Firefox on Win8 and had to allow some additional URLs in the noscript blocker but that was all.

Thank you Sterretje, Pert and AWOL for your help.

Yes, I have ad blocking running. I don't claim to understand web and related stuff, I leave all that to a friend. The blockers and the like on my computer were installed by him. I have a great deal of respect for his ability. He told me the problem was GitHub and I believe him. He tried to solve it but couldn't. I think given more time he will sort it for me. I suspect the real problem is the blocking, but that's a feeling, I am not qualified to know.

Having my photo on here isn't all that important to me, but it is nice for people to know the person they are chatting to looks like.

I doubt the length of my personal text is the problem, if you think it's too long don't read it to the end, I won't mind.

Thank you again, much appreciated,
Perry

PerryBebbington:
I doubt the length of my personal text is the problem, if you think it's too long don't read it to the end, I won't mind.

I have no interest whatsoever in your personal text, but its length probably is preventing you modifying your profile.

It's an easy experiment to see if shorter text will make the picture stay. Might as well give it a try while you're waiting for your computer guru to get you on GitHub.

I have no interest whatsoever in your personal text, but its length probably is preventing you modifying your profile.

Sorry, I really didn't think that's what you meant!

It's an easy experiment to see if shorter text will make the picture stay.

It is. Done.

EDIT
Honest, I have done it, it's not updated (yet).

@PerryBebbington

Didnt jump in as you got the attention of some of the best people.
But I do suggest you learn a little about your browser and how to control it.

First off which browser are you using
CHROME
INTERNET EXPLORER
FIREFOX
EDGE
OTHER (please give a name)

We can probably guide you a little without having to wait for your friend.
If he is good he would have also told you to run certain programs/utilities on a periodic basis.
If he did the names of those programs may also be of use.

The changes to a profile are normally pretty quick to propagate through the servers and I wonder if you need to clear your cache to see them properly.

PerryBebbington:
It is. Done.

Oh dear ... it seems to be working ---- but is it an improvement :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

...R

Didn't jump in as you got the attention of some of the best people.
But I do suggest you learn a little about your browser and how to control it.

First off which browser are you using
CHROME
INTERNET EXPLORER
FIREFOX
EDGE
OTHER (please give a name)

We can probably guide you a little without having to wait for your friend.
If he is good he would have also told you to run certain programs/utilities on a periodic basis.
If he did the names of those programs may also be of use.

The changes to a profile are normally pretty quick to propagate through the servers and I wonder if you need to clear your cache to see them properly.

It's Firefox, not the current version as, I am told, the current version does not allow various things that the old one did. I am happy to leave it to him to sort out, he is my unofficial IT person and I confident in his abilities, even if this time he's not managed to help.

Oh dear ... it seems to be working

Too soon to say, I've put it on several times already and on each occasion it has stayed there for 3 or 4 days then disappeared.

But is it an improvement

I thank you :slight_smile:

I see the pic.
Lets hope it stays.

I have two utils i swear by for helping me test for Arduino.
CCLEANER and WISE REGISTRY cleaner both the free versions

Ask your friend about them as I use them all the time as a qualified IT tech.
The first will clear crud in moments from browsers and the OS.
The other strictly windows but again exceptionally useful.

You will see that my photo is missing from my profile. I note that it disappeared after I had to log back in.

That's a shame. I was starting to think the shorter bio text had solved it.

Does the picture also disappear from the circle at the top right corner of the website that opens up the profile page?

If you open the profile page, is your picture also missing there?