PoolMaster: a comprehensive and smart home-pool automation system

Hey folks,

I'd like to present the solution I developped to regulate and monitor my pool.

The full project can be found here:

Brief description:

Three main metrics are measured and periodically reported over MQTT and an LCD screen: water temperature, PH and ORP values.

Pumps states, tank-level states and other paramters are also periodically reported.
Two PID regulation loops are running in parallel: one for PH, one for ORP.

PH is regulated by injecting Acid from a tank into the pool water (a relay starts/stops the Acid peristaltic pump).
ORP is regulated by injecting Chlorine from a tank into the pool water (a relay starts/stops the Chlorine peristaltic pump).
Defined time-slots and water temperature are used to start/stop the filtration pump for a daily given amount of time (a relay starts/stops the filtration pump).
A lightweight webserver provides a simple dynamic webpage with a summary of all system parameters. An XML file with more info is available at http://ARDUINO_LOCAL_IP/Info.
Communication with the system is performed using the MQTT protocol over an Ethernet connection to the local network/MQTT broker.

It looks very nice. Thanks for sharing!
Loulou74's pictures:

Thanks Pert (and wow, that's a large Git you have)
I did not know we could integrate the pics intot he posts, thank you

wow, that's a large Git you have

I've done a lot of pull requests this year! Unfortunately some people are very slow to merge them so I have a big collection of forks.

Loulou74:
I did not know we could integrate the pics intot he posts

It's a little more tricky than it ought to be. Here's a guide for how to do it:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=364156

Hello Folks,

Small update on my pool-monitoring system.

• code now directly compiles for both Controllino or Arduino Mega2560 hardwares. Simply select the hardware you have in the IDE prior to compiling.

• example below of an integration of the system into a cloud-based smartphone app (Blynk) via Mosquitto and NodeRed.

• new LCD screens with added water pressure monitoring

Happy Spring

Small update of the project with a Grafana dashboard example:

This looks like a very neat project, thanks for sharing it with us - I'm researching doing something similar for my pool - how have you found the system during the year or so you have had it in operation?

Has it proven reliable and how much maintenance has the system required? Has the Arduino run without crashing during this period?

TIA

SuperScuffer:
This looks like a very neat project, thanks for sharing it with us - I'm researching doing something similar for my pool - how have you found the system during the year or so you have had it in operation?

Has it proven reliable and how much maintenance has the system required? Has the Arduino run without crashing during this period?

TIA

Thank you @SuperScuffer
System has proven very reliable and my water has never been so clear without even needing to shock it in Spring, so I am very happy with it. Glad I ditched the commercial system I had before :slight_smile:

On the negative side it remains a complex system which requires an MQTT broker on your LAN or in the cloud and an MQTT client (eg. MQTT.fx or a Home Automation system) to send the required commands for calibrating probes once in a while for instance, so not for everyone. I am considering adding a touch screen interface to make the system more autonomous and easier to use

Congratulation on your project, it is awesome.

I am building my own PH/ORP/Temperature reader for my pool, and I would be interested to see how your probes are installed.

I mean did you use some sort of PVC probe holders?

If you could post pictures of your pipe setup it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

cdelasablonniere:
Congratulation on your project, it is awesome.

I am building my own PH/ORP/Temperature reader for my pool, and I would be interested to see how your probes are installed.

I mean did you use some sort of PVC probe holders?

If you could post pictures of your pipe setup it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

Thank you Charles.
The probes are mounted in flow chambers such as these, ie. not on the pipes.

Greetings all,

Update on the project: I just released version 5.0.0 of PoolMaster, new features are:

• LCD display and push-button replaced by a Nextion TFT touch-screen (see screenshots below)
  • Daily synchronization of RTC with a time server if ethernet connection available
  • example of NodeRed dashboard
  • added ethernet connectivity setup webpage accessible at http://PoolMaster.local (in an MDNS / Bonjour! enabled environment/browser)
  • new API commands
  • All MQTT publishes are now in retain mode in order to sync more efficiently MQTT clients with the controller

Many thanks to @bbwouters and @sylvaing for their contributions

Good morning folks, I'm trying to begin with a similar project but cannot find proper instructions on how to handle the PH probe itself.

The probe can be left on the pool ? or should I take a read or a group of readings and then clean it and keep it stored ?

Also can be completely submerged or just the tip.

Any feeback would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks !!!

Jorge.

Great project. Thanks a lot Loic74650. This summer I am going to build a pool of about 50/60 m3. The factory setting for pool maintenance costs a lot of money. Now when I start this project, I cannot find where and whат to buy ph/orp probes. who can advise what and where...
Thanks everyone

immarius:
Great project. Thanks a lot Loic74650. This summer I am going to build a pool of about 50/60 m3. The factory setting for pool maintenance costs a lot of money. Now when I start this project, I cannot find where and whат to buy ph/orp probes. who can advise what and where...
Thanks everyone

Greetings, I buy HANNA probes from my local pool shop, good quality

Hi,

Can you specify exactly what probes you used? Maybe a link? I've looked up Hanna Probes and arrived at "Hanna Instruments" but only see a 3-in-1 probe of pH, ORP & Temp. I'm sure that isn't the one

glasairii:
Hi,

Can you specify exactly what probes you used? Maybe a link? I've looked up Hanna Probes and arrived at "Hanna Instruments" but only see a 3-in-1 probe of pH, ORP & Temp. I'm sure that isn't the one

Sorry I don't know, I buy them from my local pool supply shop and the Hanna ref is not labeled

glasairii:
Hi,

There are many probes.

Great project! Perfect monitoring and automation.

I'm just looking to measure PH + Free Chlorine/Bromine and I've been looking over the Hanna probes listed above. And there are indeed many, but there is no price tag as the electrodes themselves are not for the 'consumer market' :confused:

Any idea on the cost? And a shop in Europe to buy them from directly?

In the link page I posted I see prices and there is a cart simbol also.