New State machine tutorial

Good Day Jacques,

I just dove into state machines and while i am limited to programming i have some latter logic from the 80-90s of GE fanuc PLC. I think this type of "thinking" suites my personal way of creating arduino code. I am currently reviewing and trying to understand the part 1 state tutorial but got stuck.

The switch machine (Notice the change in the IS_FALLING state):
void switchMachine() {
byte pinIs = digitalRead(switchPin);
if (switchMode == PULLUP) pinIs = !pinIs;
switch (switchState) {
case IS_OPEN: { if(pinIs == HIGH) switchState = IS_RISING; break; }
case IS_RISING: { switchState = IS_CLOSED; break; }
case IS_CLOSED: { if(pinIs == LOW) switchState = IS_FALLING; break; }
case IS_FALLING: { toggleMachine(); switchState = IS_OPEN; break; }
}
}
START
FALLING
OPEN
RISING
CLOSED
digitalRead(pin) == HIGH
digitalRead(pin) == LOW
TRUE
TRUE
OFF
ON
START
TRUE
TRUE
The setup:
void setup() {
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
if (switchMode == PULLDOWN) pinMode(switchPin, INPUT);
else pinMode(switchPin, INPUT_PULLUP);
}

I understand that you are giving the code the option to swtich modes dependent on pullup or pulldown but i cannot rap my head around what is occuring at each case. Can you help me understand this part of the logic?

Thanks Art, i appreciate the time to make the tutorial it has open my eyes to much simple and cleaner arduino projects.

Hello Jacques,
first of all your tutorial is great. For the last two weeks I am trying to find a way for a project, I discovered State Machine and I saw that there is a solution there but now, with your tutorial I am sure that I have to walk in this direction.
I would ask you please for a clue. How I should manage the state machine statement if I have more control devices, in my case I have a motor and its behavior depends of one sensor and two buttons. Sensor always start and stop, and the buttons change direction.
Any suggestion will be very welcome and thank you again for the tutorial

edgardo

Hi @echigard,

Then you have a motor with 3 states : running CW, stopped and running CCW
You would probably want to rember the last direction your motor was running before it was stopped. (last running state)

The sensor changes the state of the motor's state as:

• if the state is (runningCW or running CCW) then {last running state = motor's state; motor's state = stopped}
  • else: the motor's state is the last running state.

button1 state falling -> motor state : running CW
button2 state falling -> motor state : running CCW

Jacques

Hi @cyrut2,

Read this first.

PullUp is just the exact opposite of PullDown. hence:if (switchMode == PULLUP) pinIs = !pinIs;
If the mode is pullup, pinIs = not pinIs

Jacques

Hello,

Thanks for the tutorial sir, its very helpfull.

Btw, i want to ask you on Part 1 files > TwoStateMachines

enum LedStates{ON, OFF};

*what is [enum] function?

Hi,
its was great!
Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I have enjoyed reading the example PDF’s. Very helpful!
I think that there is an error in Part 1, p. 9. The case IS_FALLING should start with a call to toggleMachine() as shown in the c++ files. Without this it is not different from the previous example.

Very grateful for this Jacgues.

It is best that you make all of your time variables for a use the same size unsigned integers. The lower 8 or 16 bits of millis() and micros() returns work fine as timers with limited max intervals.

I have a button class that debounces using 8 bit time variables. They take less room and use fewer cycles.

16 bit unsigned millis() is good to over a minute, Arduino variable type is word.

The compiler might not turn our mixed-math source into what we think it will in all circumstances.

Have you seen Nick Gammon's state machine example in his tutorial on reading text without blocking? It's at the 2nd address in my sig space.

Hi,
Thanks for the push on State Machines. I once told the vendor of a $200,000 semiconductor tool that we wouldn't buy it until they provided us with a State Machine diagram of the factory communications interface. They grumbled for 3 months, sent the diagram, and said "Oh, there's a major upgrade of the software we just installed".

Here's a State Machine example for a Traffic Light that includes vehicle detection on the side street and a Walk request button. This is in a preprogrammed example package for young kids starting to connect hardware to Arduino.

Awww. it didn't fit in 9000 bytes. Ummm...

OK, put it on my wiki here: (NOT good formatting. I will figure it out.. )

https://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wiki/Easy-Connect-Software-Outline

Scroll down to last example..

Welease_Woggah:
Bit of a leap of faith to think that someone new to FSMs will know what an enum is.

Why is that?

An enum is a variable type which is present in many programming languages and is not more related to FSMs than any other variable types.

This is a very cool tutorial. I've been doing it somewhat sloppily the past few years, and this may help clean up my act. Also motivates me to look for and/or (eventually) come up with an object oriented version.

johnnycanuck:
This is a very cool tutorial. I've been doing it somewhat sloppily the past few years, and this may help clean up my act. Also motivates me to look for and/or (eventually) come up with an object oriented version.

Actually, state machines have been used in OOP code since at least 1970 when Charles Moore released Forth.

State machines are a technique, Johnny.

What part of Canada are you from? My family reunion is still held in NB, you might be a cousin.

nielyay:

enum LedStates{ON, OFF};

*what is [enum] function?

It is not a function, more like a variable, it tells the compiler to associate labels with numbers under a certain name.

enum unoSpi { mosi=11, miso, sck }; // mosi starts as 11, miso is 12, sck is 13

enum rgbColor { red=1, green, blue }; // starts at 1

enum smallNumbers { zero, one, two, three }; // zero is by default 0, one is 1, etc

When I have a function that has an unoSpi arg, the compiler will only accept unoSpi values in that place.

Glad that you shared this and found it quite helpful.

But on Arduino I would be careful about how many enums I make since they do take up RAM.

One way to make enums use 1 byte instead of default int,

enum Color: byte
{
   RED, GREEN, BLUE
};

The tutorial is superb, well written and clear. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into sharing that with us.

jbellavance:
Someone new to the state machine concept are not necessarily new to programming. This tutorial is not about C++. It is about implanting a state machine in Arduino's environment which happens to be written in C++.

I my mind, using a "switch" construct is not easier than using enum, since I have met on this site, a few persons that only uses "if" constructs, "since you can to everything with that construct" and won't have anything to do with "switch". But I insist in using it because the "switch" construct is , IMHO, ideal to describe a state machine's behaviour.

A switch-case state machine is a good way to break a large or long top-down process into small pieces and wait intervals. A function with a state machine can achieve a whole process by running over and over. Your void loop() may run > 60 times a millisecond, over and over can get somewhere fast at that rate.

I have a demo showing how to use switch-case to remove calls to delay(). It hit me while I was de-blocking a greenhouse automation with a lot of wait-for's that one come-back-later code before the switch could replace any number of cases with timing code (the original GSM code had 10 delays).

// add-a-sketch_un-delay 2018 by GoForSmoke @ Arduino.cc Forum
// Free for use, Apr 30/18 by GFS. Compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.9.
// This sketch shows a general method to get rid of delays in code.
// You could upgrade code with delays to work with add-a-sketch.

#include <avr/io.h>
#include "Arduino.h"

const byte ledPin = 13;
unsigned long delayStart, delayWait;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin( 115200 );
  Serial.println( F( "\n\n\n  Un-Delay Example, free by GoForSmoke\n" ));
  Serial.println( F( "This sketch shows how to get rid of delays in code.\n" ));

pinMode( ledPin, OUTPUT );
};

/* The section of the original sketch with delays:
 * digitalWrite( ledPin, HIGH );   --  0
 * delay( 500 );
 * digitalWrite( ledPin, LOW );    --  1
 * delay( 250 );
 * digitalWrite( ledPin, HIGH );   --  2
 * delay( 250 );
 * digitalWrite( ledPin, LOW );    --  3
 * delay( 250 );
 * digitalWrite( ledPin, HIGH );   --  4
 * delay( 1000 );
 * digitalWrite( ledPin, LOW );    --  5
 * delay( 1000 );
 */

byte blinkStep; // state tracking for BlinkPattern() below

void BlinkPattern()
{
  // This one-shot timer replaces every delay() removed in one spot.  
  // start of one-shot timer
  if ( delayWait > 0 ) // one-shot timer only runs when set
  {
    if ( millis() - delayStart < delayWait )
    {
      return; // instead of blocking, the undelayed function returns
    }
    else
    {
      delayWait = 0; // time's up! turn off the timer and run the blinkStep case
    }
  }
  // end of one-shot timer

// here each case has a timed wait but cases could change Step on pin or serial events.
  switch( blinkStep )  // runs the case numbered in blinkStep
  {
    case 0 :
    digitalWrite( ledPin, HIGH );
    Serial.println( F( "Case 0 doing something unspecified here at " ));
    Serial.println( delayStart = millis()); // able to set a var to a value I pass to function
    delayWait = 500; // for the next half second, this function will return on entry.
    blinkStep = 1;   // when the switch-case runs again it will be case 1 that runs
    break; // exit switch-case

case 1 :
    digitalWrite( ledPin, LOW );
    Serial.println( F( "Case 1 doing something unspecified here at " ));
    Serial.println( delayStart = millis());
    delayWait = 250;
    blinkStep = 2;
    break;

case 2 :
    Serial.println( F( "Case 2 doing something unspecified here at " ));
    delayWait = 250;
    blinkStep = 3;
    break;

case 3 :
    Serial.println( F( "Case 3 doing something unspecified here at " ));
    delayWait = 250;
    blinkStep = 4;
    break;

case 4 :
    Serial.println( F( "Case 4 doing something unspecified here at " ));
    delayWait = 1000;
    blinkStep = 5;
    break;

case 5 :
    Serial.print( F( "Case 5 doing something unspecified here at " ));
    delayWait = 1000;
    blinkStep = 0;
    break;
  }
}

void loop()  // runs over and over, see how often
{            
  BlinkPattern();
}

A full state machine tutorial would show a state machine embedded in a state machine to handle delays indented to the ones you just replaced.

Having belatedly noticed the author's pdf, which includes all the necessary diagrams, I'm deleting this and the subsequent redundant posts with the diagrams I was making.

And so having belatedly noticed jbellavance's pdf (containing code, narrative and state diagrams) and having looked at it (admittedly quickly), I'm inclined to suggest it as "the" tutorial. Maybe Robin2, it's not necessary for you to do another one?