LED matrix display - MD_Parola, MD_MAX72xx and MD_MAXPanel

AntonioRuocco:
I've discovered that what I'm personally experiencing is a start-up issue which happens only after a power cycle when 2 or more zones are defined in the SW. I tested it up to 4 zones and in this case I observe also that some of the displays in the last positions of the chain turn off after few seconds.
If I perform an Arduino soft reset, everything goes back to normal and works fine. The same if I reload the sw a second time keeping the Arduino board on.

It seems an initialization timing issue, which might be probably more evident in case of long device chains (I presume...)

Hi Antonio and Marco, I have had the same issues. I am running IDE 1.6.9 and the latest downloadable library offered. The Zone example sketches run fine but if I compile a larger code (a 2 zone scrolling time display I modified, nothing too fancy) I have intermittent cold start problems. I have also encountered warm boot issues, but fewer. Simply rearranging some headers or adding an include or moving some code changes this behaviour so it seems memory (alloc/init) related. I have tried this on 2 NANOs and one UNO (which I use for other projects and am 100% certain work fine). Surprisingly if I leave the Arduino powered on (blank display) and wait for some time, then power off and on, it magically starts working again - very mysterious. As I said, the example sketches without zones always work 100% after every cold boot or warm boot, I have noticed that my array flashes every so slightly at code start but then remains blank when the problem occurs. When it blanks, I have to reflash the Arduino then unplug and warm reset it to get it working again - this happens on all the arduinos I have so it's not arduino hardware related. I first thought of some faulty 8x8 module (I am using 5 in a row, FC-16 type) but I haven't had cold boot problems with any other test code (scrolling sprites etc) I tried in these weeks. I downloaded the latest library from Marco's links now and will try again and see what happens and report back.

A question regarding the Zones: is it possible to toggle a single LED in this mode or is it only possible to pass the whole string pointer to be displayed then refresh? I would like to update a single dot based on an external random event/signal in the zone without the need to refresh all of the specific zone's contents. I guess I could do this through the MDMAX lib directly but would like to avoid some bashing.

Cheers for the support!