NewPing Library: HC-SR04, SRF05, SRF06, DYP-ME007, Parallax PING))) - v1.7

fernandossala:
I am doing an installation that works with two sr04, and I am quite satisfied with the results I am achieving so far.

and I just wanted to turn on a pair of relays based on the sensors activity, and so far i got it to work almost the way i want, the sensors will work almost in parallel (slightly different angles to give'em more viewing angle). I found the cast operator to be more friendly to deal with the cm array, but I am not sure if its the proper way of doing it.

as of the relays, i want them to turn on when there's somebody in the range of the sensors, otherwise it must be turned off, any advice or suggestion will be much apreciated, and what I got so far is, they turn on on presence, but turn off only when somebody is 10 cm or closer, but not when out of range, i tried to stop and turn the ping on again as suggested on page 19, but I'm not achieving the results I seek

and Teckel, excelent job, and thanks a bunch for your activity in this thread, as an arduino lover and a maker, I am obliged to thank people like you!

I'm not sure why you're creating the floating variable "f" and why you're then dividing the distance by two. That will just add a lot of overhead to your code. But, a distance of "0" means out of range. So, if you want to turn something on when in rage and off when out of range your code would look something like this (I cleaned it up a bit too):

#include <NewPing.h>

#define SONAR_NUM      2
#define MAX_DISTANCE 350
#define PING_INTERVAL 33

#define RELE1 7
#define RELE2 8

unsigned long pingTimer[SONAR_NUM];
uint8_t currentSensor = 0;

NewPing sonar[SONAR_NUM] = {
  NewPing(13, 12, MAX_DISTANCE),
  NewPing(4, 2, MAX_DISTANCE)
};

void setup() {
    Serial.begin(115200);

pinMode (RELE1, OUTPUT);
    pinMode (RELE2, OUTPUT);
    pingTimer[0] = millis() + 75;
    for (uint8_t i = 1; i < SONAR_NUM; i++)
      pingTimer[i] = pingTimer[i - 1] + PING_INTERVAL;
}

void loop() {
  for (uint8_t i = 0; i < SONAR_NUM; i++) {
    if (millis() >= pingTimer[i]) {
      pingTimer[i] += PING_INTERVAL * SONAR_NUM;
      sonar[currentSensor].timer_stop();
      currentSensor = i;
      sonar[currentSensor].ping_timer(echoCheck);
    }
  }
  // Other code that *DOESN'T* analyze ping results can go here.
}

void echoCheck() {
  if (sonar[currentSensor].check_timer())
    pingResult(currentSensor, sonar[currentSensor].ping_result / US_ROUNDTRIP_CM);
}

void pingResult(uint8_t sensor, int cm){
  if ( cm == 0 ) { 
    digitalWrite (RELE1, LOW);
    digitalWrite (RELE2, LOW);
  } else {
    digitalWrite (RELE1, HIGH);
    digitalWrite (RELE2, HIGH);
  }

Serial.println(cm);
}

The problem with this code however is that you have two sensors. One may detect an object and the other may not. So, it could turn on and off so quickly you can't even tell. You probably need to use the original multi-sensor sketch that stores the results in the array and then process the results where you can make logic decisions based upon results of maybe one sensor detecting an object and the other not, or distances that are wildly different.

Basically, while my above sketch will work the way you asked, it won't really work the way you want. Going back to the original sketch and storing the results in the array and then using different logic is probably what you really want.

Tim