Best programming language for beginners?

westfw:
Pascal was indeed designed as a teaching language. But that was back in the mid-1970s, and it's been a bit neglected since the 1980s. To be useful, it needs "extensions" beyond the basic language, which are somewhat poorly standardized. I became disenchanted with Pascal when I realized how much it cheats - the language has features and syntax that a user can't duplicate (at least, not without more 'extensions.') And the extent to which it seemed to deliberately limit itself to be ONLY a "teaching language" (not that that lasted. For a long time, a lot of the Apple system and application software was written in a Pascal-like language.)

I still have my 1985 Byte issue where Niklaus Wirth wrote that to get a program right you write it twice and throw the first one away. Then he wrote that Pascal is that first one, Modula is the one to keep. And who am I to argue? I've helped fix Pascal homework because logic is logic but I swear that language is more anal-retentive than COBOL. I never tried the next step into that.