Dimmer and correct circuit

PelleS:
I didn't know phase control dimming could be used for leds as well.

"Mind-bending" in terms of the zero crossing matter, dodgy circuits dredged from who-knows-where and somewhat misguided attempts to use circuit simulation software. :astonished:

There are better and worse approaches to the circuits in LED luminaires. If they use simple capacitive "ballasts", then their power factor is bad and phase control becomes very difficult; they are generally labelled as "non-dimmable".

If they use a switchmode regulator with a reservoir capacitor (like a computer PSU), then that capacitor charging to the peak voltage resists phase control and again, the power factor is undesirable.

The best design for both dimmability and power factor, is a switchmode regulator without a reservoir capacitor. This simply makes do with the instant voltage at each point in the waveform and behaves more like a resistive load. And leaving out the capacitor is actually cheaper.

I have not yet dissected any LED bulbs (if for one, because they rarely "burn out"!) so I cannot say what circuit they are using. I do however have two failed LED downlights - non-dimmable - awaiting my attack. They have this pattern of lighting almost fully, dimming progressively out, waiting and then "popping" back on. Presumably heat cycling of a switchmode converter IC. That they failed within two years in service is most disappointing.