AS1130 First attempt - working

on my first go i will cascade two 1130s to run 216 single LEDs

That sounds like fun... :grin: I'm trying to motivate myself to make up 4 boards (528 LEDs) but all that soldering really puts me off!

How are you going to arrange the 216 LEDs? I can't for the life of me see how you can do it unless you intend to switch off some Current Segments but even then you end up with the wrong number of LEDs.

I've got 3 AS1108s as well but haven't got round to 'evaluating' them yet.

It'll be great to see your results. :wink:

Oh wow, they created an account just to post that comment.

Yeah...I KNEW there were people out there with good manners... :grin: :grin: :grin:

hahaha.... you bet it is going to be great fun.... I never programmed a PIC before, but shouldn't be so difficult.. :slight_smile:

already tried to activate this amount of LEDs using shift registers, but blinking was unacceptable....though it worked fine

so now i am cascading AS1130s as shown in datasheet page 1 and connect them to a Freescale MS9S08JM16 (sorry Arduino folks, next time).... and will use all of the current segments, but not all LEDs.... i will balance each segment so i have similar number of LEDs on each of them.....

hope it works!!!.... i am not willing to show characters but will use LED configuration as shown in FIG.26 page 31, dropping out some LEDs

will upload schematics as soon as i finish off some connections doubts regarding EEPROM

Wow I really wish I had my own place. I would love to solder all those leds although I can't do it in my building. Silly apartments.
If anybody does anything with PWM for the AS1130, lemme know! I'm still trying to figure it out when I'm not studying or chillen with the girl.

will upload schematics

That'd be great..I'd love to see what you do with it.

If anybody does anything with PWM for the AS1130, lemme know!

I did a simple PWM demo in post #6 of this thread.
If you can get the frames working then PWM is really easy...just fill the eeprom with the PWM data for each frame (6 sets and 6 frames) then set the bits in the first data byte to the PWM set number for each frame and off you go...
If I get any time this week I'll put some code together to demo PWM with this chip.

I'm currently working on driving an 8x8 RGB display with the AS1130 using PWM to generate the colour mixes....should be fun... XD

That would be awesome!
Where do you find time for this stuff?

I need to get a life.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

don't watch much TV...gave up booze and fags...etc.

Just realised I've got no common cathode rgb modules so I'll have to wait on that one. I'll do some PWM stuff on the 11x12 instead then. :* XD

Ah.
I am planning on using 5050 rgb leds so doing the testing on the 11x12 is exactly what I would need.

Arrrrgggghhh MORE soldering....LOL :grin: have fun with that.

OK I'll get started on some PWM stuff...are you using the Arduino or PIC to drive the AS1130?

I'll be using an arduino, but I can parse the necessary information I need from code for a pic

No probs Funky...I'm doing it for the Uno as we speak....nearly done... :grin:

Awesome!
I won't be able to test it out until tomorrow because I left my serial cable for my duemilanove at work (the printer isn't set up right so I had to use the cable -_-)

OK!

Here is the PWM demo as promised:

Sorry about the crap quality but you get the idea. XD

Here's the code:

AS1130_Frames_demo_PWM_29102012.rar (6.28 KB)

as mentioned before here it is my crazy project for AS1130 and AS1108.... i apologize for not drawing better... i will tidy schematics up as soon as i finish all the other chapters.... routing, soldering, plastic 3D moulding, marketing, betatesting, etc.... it may take some time :cold_sweat:

as this project may add a little confusion to your discussions (Hexadec & Funkyguy4000) please tell me if you want me to open a new thread

i think i may reuse some of the coding you all have shared in this thread and as soon as i get mine i will share it as well

esquema03 - Schematic.pdf (367 KB)

J_ornothing:
(Hexadec & Funkyguy4000) please tell me if you want me to open a new thread

Lets just keep it all running in the same thread. I can't wait to see that thing actually work. (I actually followed your schematic)

As for the PWM demo, are we only allowed to use the PWM sets that are stored in the AS1130 or can we stream in PWM data? I wanna control the frequency of "raindrops" based on a personal rain detector that can detect how hard it is raining.

hello guys, hope you still know me

How could we forget you... :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello mate. :grin:

Simple maths is what you need...for 36 frames you need 2 bytes for each current segment so :

per frame:

12 current segments
2 bytes each 12*2 = 24

36 frames 36*24 = 864

PLUS you may need 1 PWM set
1 byte for each LED = 132

Bytes needed for each frame set = 864+132 = 996

For 3 devices 3*996 = 2988

therefore you need less than 3KB for each 36 frame set.

binarygod:
three AS1130's i'm going to use to show a moving font on the 11x396 screen.

Hold up! you can't do an 11x396 matrix using 3 as1130's . Each 1130 can drive 132 leds MAX. your 11x396 would need 33 1130's to drive that kind of matrix buddy.

To (almost) quote the great Bob Dylan...

"the answer my friend is blowing in the datasheet"

Have a good read. :grin:

...and...I even gave you a link to an explanation of multiplexing...read THAT as well.

Now I don't mind answering questions for someone who makes the effort and has the abilities required for the task, but actually THINKING for someone, then answering the questions, then answering the same questions again is really starting to make me lose the will to live........

Please binary, just read the datasheet, look at the cross-plexing diagram and then think about how digital electronics works

The datasheet is not as bad as some...but it IS hard to understand because it assumes quite a high level of knowledge and understanding from the reader. (quite rightly :grin:)

If you read up on how a screen/frame/matrix of LEDs is scanned...all will become clear. :wink:

Are you just trying to wind me up?

Read how I2C works (hint 7 or 8 bit addresses).

OR

A better idea...YOU use address 0x60 in YOUR code and then you'll KNOW why mine is as it is.