TB6600 Stepper Motor Driver & Arduino

I am trying to follow the example hookup show here:

Seems to me what's not shown is power to the Arduino. If the power to the controller is 12-14 volts from a lead acid battery can I run jumpers from there to Vin on the Arduino?

You could. However 14v is a little on the high side for an Arduino if you have other modules drawing power from its 5v pin.

Or you could use a 7805 voltage regulator to drop the battery voltage to 5v and power the Arduino through the 5v pin.

...R

Ok, I was thinking about dropping the voltage. The 7805 is a simple solution.

Hi,

64GTO:
If the power to the controller is 12-14 volts from a lead acid battery can I run jumpers from there to Vin on the Arduino?

If you are using a lead acid battery please fit a fuse in the positive wire at the battery.
Lead Acid batteries can supply huge amounts of current if confronted by a short circuit, this can be very destructive to electronic components and wiring.
Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Good advice on the fuse.

I now have a regulated 12v supply powering both the controller and arduino. Its driving a small stepper motor at 1A per phase and everything is working fine.

I'm using a Mac to update and upload the sketch to arduino via USB.

Can I leave the USB connected to the arduino while the arduino is running and powered by the external 12v source?

Can I upload a new sketch while the arduino is looping thru the last sketch that was uploaded?

64GTO:
Can I leave the USB connected to the arduino while the arduino is running and powered by the external 12v source?

Can I upload a new sketch while the arduino is looping thru the last sketch that was uploaded?

Yes

Yes

...R

64GTO:

Yes, you can BUT be aware that your running code will STOP at some stage, wait for the new code to load, then RESTART with the new code.

So if your stepper is running, it will stop, then run again from the start of the new program.

In your code do you have a stop/start button(s)?

Tom... :slight_smile:

No start stop buttons in the code.

How and why would they be used?

64GTO:
No start stop buttons in the code.

How and why would they be used?

I don't know you application.
So how do you stop and start your project, just turning power ON/OFF which is fair enough.
Tom.. :slight_smile:

Yes there will be a mechanical switch to turn off the power.

I thought you were referring to a switch in the software.

64GTO:
Yes there will be a mechanical switch to turn off the power.

I thought you were referring to a switch in the software.

I was, but you seem not to need one... :slight_smile:

Tom... :slight_smile: