MKR 1000 gets really warm/hot

Is that normal? I plug in the usb and it seems like it's going to overheat after 2/3 minutes. I'm referring to the silver rectangle on the MKR1000. When I touch it, it feels really warm/hot.. I don't remember it being like that.

Warm possibly ...hot NO...

That said we cannot see what you have connected to it or how ?

I think the board is fried for whatever reason. It's HOT and I thought to change the usb cable out but same result

Surface laptop

MKR 1000
+
MKR Motor Shield

My next step is to disconnect MKR from the motor shield and keep it plugged into the laptop. :confused:
The board still gets HOT. Is there a way to diagnose the board or should I consider it bricked and buy another? Any suggestions would be appreciated as learning is my goal :slight_smile:

@ballscrewsball -- I tried your suggestion on another post Need help to repair MKR1000 bootloader. - MKR1000 - Arduino Forum double clicking the reset button and uploading the blynk example and it works. The board still heats up after updating firmware and making sure the blynk example works. Question: should I get another MKR 1000 or just leave it hot and see what happens? Sorry if I am redundant..

Thx for replying!

Maybe we need to define HOT as some peoples hot are other peoples warm.
Do you have any method of measuring the temperature ?

I dont have an MKR specific motor shield so I cannot test that aspect.
But care should be taken with any motor shield for any type of board as the current consumption of motors can be much higher than the Arduino itself can supply.
That in turn has been seen to cause damage on other Arduino boards and even more so if there was a jumper or pad that needed to be bridged or cut.

From your picture I dont see a seperate voltage for the motor and the motor looks like s small higher torque geared unit.

Thanks, I don't have a way to define HOT, but when I touch the metal it feels like its going to burn my skin after 2 seconds. I just ordered another one, so I'm going to work on that one and see today. And if I'm being honest here, I did see smoke when I plugged the battery into the wrong pins on the motor shield. Lol, so stupid..

Karma for honesty...

Just to update everyone. The MKR1000 did fry. I got another MKR1000 and it works. In short, if the metal rectangular (ATSAM) gets HOT not lukewarm it's fried. Don't waste your time, just get another one. Hope this saves someone from becoming frustrated :slight_smile: