Warning to users of some vendors LCD keypad shields

MichaelMeissner:

bwims:
It looks like robotshop is not dfrobot.
No warning here, and the schematic has not changed...

Bummer...

Yes, robotshop is a distributor for various parts manufactured by others (DFRobot in this case makes the lcd shield). I've used them in the past rather than ordering straight from DFRobot because Robotshop is USA based and shipping times are much less. As I mentioned upthread, evidently robotshop hasn't changed the warning, but when I ordered the lcd shield in May, it was the fixed version where digital pin 10 does control the contrast.

IIRC, you can't use servos and the lcd shield together on UNOs because the servo library disables PWM on pins 9 and 10.

Hi, I'm curious about this.

My understanding is that pin 10 would control the brightness on boards with this bug - just that it puts a high current on the pin with the danger of frying it. Have you done the test to see if the problem exists on your board, as described by the original poster?

Otherwise, I cannot see why DFRobot would not have updated their schematic. Could it be that you are just lucky?

Also, you say pin 10 controls the contrast - do you mean brightness? I thought a VR controlled the contrast?

B.