How compatible are the "compatible" Arduino boards and peripherals

I worked hard to code my LCD 1602. Only to find out at the time of making of another device that the LCD I procured for the new device is of a different type, although marketed under the same name and characteristics.

And this is just an example.

The main strength - open source - looks like rising the problem of compatibility, from my (of course) limited experience.

Question is: is there any way to make sure the boards (compatible ones or even clones) are really similar? Could the licence include the obligation to publish certain characteristics in order to make sure compatibility is ensured?

You are playing with the crumbs, falling from the table of a massive industry.

That industry doesn't really care too much about hobbyists, and will go on producing components that fulfill commercial requirements.

Get used to it.

That industry enjoy itself by saying it is massive. It is not. The competition is so high that any giant can fall any time. Think to IBM.

On the other hand, any hobbyst has the chance to become the next Bill Gates. If they dont care, they will fall.

I am not afraid.

falexandru:
I worked hard to code my LCD 1602. Only to find out at the time of making of another device that the LCD I procured for the new device is of a different type, although marketed under the same name and characteristics.

And this is just an example.

The main strength - open source - looks like rising the problem of compatibility, from my (of course) limited experience.

Question is: is there any way to make sure the boards (compatible ones or even clones) are really similar? Could the licence include the obligation to publish certain characteristics in order to make sure compatibility is ensured?

There are no "licenses". You cannot even rely on what is stamped on what you buy. The ratings of the little blue relays are perfect example.

There is certainly a way to be sure what you order is what you want. That is to only buy from a stocking distributor.

Paul

I am now even thinking to make my own "Arduino board" around ATMega 328 )or similar).

I do not an advanced electronics hobbyist, so I am not in the position to design such a "board".

But time consumed to find trusted items appears to me as much more than learning how to make one by myself.

the only thing that I need now is to sense and display the values. Perhaps it is even easier to use the microcontroller and some little circuitry than to play around an Arduino nano.

Is there anybody who followed the same "making my own Arduino Board" path?