Robot Camera  With  2.8" TFT

You can also use Arduino to control the camera to be your robot's eyes..... Wink

When you get the arduino to act on what the camera is seeing, wake me up.

Wink is right.......

How long would a regular arduino (with a atmega328) take to download a default resolution picture from the camera?
It sounds nearly too good to be true.

I have to say I'm curious in the same way as mowcius, you've allready told us what we can make the atmega/camera combination do, but in what manner does the atmega interface with the actual camera? for instance: are you directly controlling the electrical circuit of the camera with the atmega? serial line?
We want to know what makes it 'tick', so to speak :stuck_out_tongue:
We love those gruesome details on its inner workings!

How long would a regular arduino (with a atmega328) take to download a default resolution picture from the camera?

Well actually it's the onboard ATMega32 which can do that. He states that you can save images to an SD card via an SPI interface.
I presume the camera is 640x480 max so I would have thought a second or two would be possible on an ATMega32. Not too slow to be a problem for me. I want to set it up to send video over a wireless link and automatically take a picture every 2 minutes (or maybe every 5). That should then be able to store a load on a 2GB microSD and I will have a complete log of what my robot has been doing. If it can do phsical recognition then I would be interested in some stuf involving green lasers :stuck_out_tongue:

Despite the lack of info and the possibility of it being a bit slow, it still sounds good.

in what manner does the atmega interface with the actual camera?

As I understand it, the arduino can be set up to just send commands to take an image etc (presumably over serial), or you could use the 40-pin header to have much more control over the display (presumably the display driver circuit) and camera.

We love those gruesome details on its inner workings!

I will make a few enquiries on the other board that seems to use this LCD to try and find out what it use/what the display actually is...

Mowcius

If the arduino is instructing the camera to download to the storage on the interface board, not long, if its downloading to itself, it wouldn't.

I'll be kind and say its marketing hype.

I'll be kind and say its marketing hype.

It certainly is marketing, but I would not label it as hype.

The gut that makes this tick is a dual interface display controller.

On one side it can interface to a microcontroller (choice of SPI, 8-bit or 16-bit). The controller supports 18-bit RGB (262k colors) with the QVGA resolution of 320x240. For every pixel on the screen there is 18-bits of RAM to control its color. This RAM makes up the display controller frame buffer.

The other side can interface to a live video feed (camera). This is the traditional horizontal/vertical sync video that is taken from the camera and redirected to the LCD panel by the display controller. Because of its dual interface it also has the option to overlay the video on whatever is in the framebuffer and even rescale the overlay.

When you "take a picture" you simply freeze the current video feed and capture the image in the display controller frame buffer. Once it's there you can stream it (via SPI or 8/16 bit interface) to an SD card. Even a full resolution (320x240) image can be read from the controller in less than a second (e.g. SPI at 8MHz) by the onboard AtMega. Writing to an SD card (in 512 byte chunks) will however add to the time.

Really there is no magic about this if you understand how it works and even image analysis (object detection etc.) would be possible on an AtMega with appropriate software.

As for marketing - the AtMega32 is not on the list of supported Arduino AVR's - nor is the board itself. As such I think labeling it as Arduino compatible is a stretch. Also when you add software for LCD support, a couple fonts, touch controller software and an SD card library there is not much left on an AtMega for other tasks.

As for what Mowicus wants I still think this is within reach.

As for what Mowcius wants I still think this is within reach.

We will release new version soon ,which is more powerful than this version......

Well maybe the reason it is not currently on a 328 is that they might have been caught up in that chip shortage we had not so long ago. Hopefully the new version will be a 328.

and even image analysis

Well unfortunately I'm not that good on stuff like that so I will wait for some more inclined people to make that work :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

Interesting way to handle the pictures.
I suppose a horrible oversight on my part aswell, obviously you don't need an entire image to start processing it.. small chunks will do fine aswell...
Again, interesting :slight_smile:

Cool. I've been thinking about this a long time. I'll definitely buy it once it's released.

Hey ,guys we release new version finally..... :wink: :wink:

The new version feature :

1. OV7670 standard module

2. With TF card socket,digital photo frame function

3. ATMEGA328 and Atmega32 - MCU AVR (one kind is with Atmega328 and the other kind is with Atmega32) :wink: :wink:

4. on-board special touch screen control IC XPT2046 (compatible ADS7843),so it support touch screen. :slight_smile:

5. on-board 2.8 inches 65K, touch screen color TFT

6. with an independent button

7. with independent standard ISP firmware programming port

8. with independent USB power supply

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

wow[ch65292]it's cool :wink:

oh, :-*I've been looking forward to for a long time, and now ATMEGA328 match the camera finally! Hope that this is the product shall be able to surprise! ;D

A couple of marketing clones here by the looks of things, would a mod care to check out a few IP addresses ? Like the last 3 posts in this thread ?

Hmm. Maybe.

I still would like this board though. If it is comparitive in price to the QVGA shield (with the same LCD), then I will be snapping one up. I want to have the camera send data wirelessly via an xbee to a controller and the have the screen display that. Possibly with an overlay of info if possible.
I would then have it save an image every 5 minutes or so (I could get quite a few hours on to a 2GB memory card then!)
Not sure if I have a use for the touch screen yet.

If this is a nice price then I will buy one. If it is more than about $60 then I will probably wait a bit for it.

With the ATmega328 now (thankfully), it is more enticing than before.
I think you need to release it soon though (even if you have limited stock) as people want to know how much it is and what code is available.

Mowcius

@Mowcius

I just want to show it to the guys who is interested in , I have no plan to manufacture about this ..... :wink: :wink:

I am tiding all the information about Robot Camera With 2.8" TFT , and I will open all the information including schematic diagram[ch12289]eagle file[ch12289]datasheet etc to you guys.... :slight_smile:
you can make it yourself
or if there are many guys need , I will entrust one company or one shop to manufacture and sell at a best price. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for you care indeed. :wink:

I just want to show it to the guys who is interested in , I have no plan to manufacture about this .....

I am tiding all the information about Robot Camera With 2.8" TFT , and I will open all the information including schematic diagram[ch12289]eagle file[ch12289]datasheet etc to you guys....
you can make it yourself
or if there are many guys need , I will entrust one company or one shop to manufacture and sell at a best price.
Thanks for you care indeed.

Well that is the nicest thing I have heard you say on this forum.
Please stop spamming everything with your products though...

Mowcius

I'm a little confused, is this a real product?

I'd really like to be able to have a camera linked to one arduino send pictures via xbee to another, where it'd show them on a small screen. this'd probably be cheaper than screen and camera separately.

The grand plan is to float a camera under a balloon (a tethered one), have it shift round both axes. It'd be arduino controlled rotation and shooting, with an arduino - attached camera to show roughly what the camera can see.

I'm a little confused, is this a real product?

It has been made but is is not being sold as a product. If you read the thread then it tells you this fact.

Mowcius

So wait. I can't buy these? ever? That's crazy - I could use these tomorrow! Especially if I could put a pair of xBees between the camera and display.

Send it over to Lady Ada, she'd produce it I imagine.

It can be found on Ebay.
Just search on Ebay: AVR Camera REV 4.0 with TF Screen

Only one... Can't say I'll be bidding for such a high starting price.

Mowcius