stepper motor vibrating but not moving

i have some stepper motors that i m trying to run with an adafruit motor shield but they just vibrate I am connecting them through an adafruit motor shield they have four wires so I think they are bipolar
I am powering them using the barrel jack on the arduino I have tried 12v 800ma, 6v 700ma and 12v 1.2 a

HELP

i have some stepper motors that i m trying to run with an adafruit motor shield but they just vibrate

There are so many possible things that could be wrong. You will have to provide a LOT more details. Stuff like HOW you connected the stepper motors, what kind of stepper motors they are, how you are powering the stepper motors, and what code you have.

The most likely issue is that you have not got the motors wired correctly.

I am connecting them through an adafruit motor shield they have four wires so I think they are bipolar
I am powering them using the barrel jack on the arduino I have tried 12v 800ma, 6v 700ma and 12v 1.2 a

a wiring issue? I thought that with bipolar it didn't matter

thanks,
bravoechonovember1

P.S. i had them running a few weeks ago

I am powering them using the barrel jack on the arduino

You are kidding yourself if you think the Arduino can POWER a stepper motor.

I thought that with bipolar it didn't matter

Well, OK. That's wrong. It does matter. But, OK, you are free to think that.

The coils on a stepper motor must be excited in the proper order.

PaulS:
You are kidding yourself if you think the Arduino can POWER a stepper motor.

The coils on a stepper motor must be excited in the proper order.

ummmmmm

Setting up your shield for powering DC Motors
The DC motors are powered off of a 'high voltage supply' and NOT the regulated 5V. Don't connect the motor power supply to the Arduino's 5V power pin. This is a very very very bad idea unless you are sure you know what you're doing! You could damage your Arduino and/or USB port!
There are two places you can get your motor 'high voltage supply' from.
One is the DC barrel jack on the Arduino board
The other is the 2-terminal block on the shield that is labeled DC Motor Power 5-12VDC.

and about the bipolar thing i must have read something wrong on the adafruit website

The stepper motors I have require up to 36V and about 20A. There is not a ghost of a chance that the Arduino can supply that, regardless of where you tap the Arduino for power. A separate, robust, power supply is MANDATORY.

my steppers are tiny and require little power and you were right about the wiring

bravoechonovember1:
my steppers are tiny and require little power and you were right about the wiring

You could have told us that already! Please give as much detail as possible - a photo
might be good, any part numbers, etc etc. There are literally tens of thousands of
stepper motor out there, details are everything.

thanks but i figured out my problem, it was the wiring
if you could help me on this arduino broke again - Installation & Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum i would appreciate it thanks!

Hi ,
I am experiencing the same kind of problem.
I have two steppers I need to test using A4988 Stepper Motor Drivers and Arduino.

STEPPERS SPECS

Nema 17 stepper motor :

200 steps per revolution (1.8 deg/step)
2 Phase bipolar 4 wires
Rated Voltage 2V DC
Rated Current 1.2A

Nema 17 stepper motor:

200 steps per revolution (1.8 deg/step)
2 Phase 4 wires
Rated Voltage 4.83V
Rated Current 0.84A

I have connected the motors countless times according to the diagram in the link below

and I am powering my circuit with a 9V battery. I am quite sure that the wiring is correct unless something really important isn't mentioned on the diagram. But no matter what demo code I run, the motor just vibrates and makes a scary noise but the shaft doesn't rotate :frowning: . I really can not identify my problem, need help :confused:

Small 9V battery? Able to source 50mA comfortably? How can that possibly work?

You need a power supply up to the task, 12V or 24V, 1A or more

Hi guys,I'm new to arduino, but my project is based on it.I am using stepper motor NEMA 23,1.9Nm torque,Rated 2.5Amp, stepper driver TB6600.I got my code compiled and upload.I am using small pinion attached to shaft of stepper motor of PCD 20mm, which turns the gear of PCD 75mm.I have attached a plate of 45*45cm to the shaft on which gear is placed. When i power the motor(12V,5A),ouput is adjusted to 2.5Amps, it makes step moving sound,but shaft not moving at all.I don't what is the problem ,I have connected pull(-ve),dir(-ve) and enable(-ve) to ground and their (+ve) is connected with 8,9,10 in the arduino. code is correct i'm sure,but that sound and not moving is the problem.

Thanks in advance

With nothing connected to the stepper, does it move properly? If so, you need more torque. If not, there is something wrong with your wiring.

Stepper Driver Arduino