Uploading So Slow?

Im just starting out w/ this and Im wondering if there are some settings wrong - I have a duemilanove and when I upload even the simplest project it takes a good minute to send it to the device - is this normal?
Thanks,
JB

That doesn't sound normal. I have a Diecimila and the compile usually takes only about 10 seconds on my 2.4 GHz dual-core MacBook Pro. The upload then takes another 10 seconds or so for the Blink example.

How much of the time is in the compile (before "Binary sketch size" message) and how much in the actual upload?

So a bit more info:
Im a teacher doing this at a high school. I have several Arduino Duemilanove units and they all take forever. We are on school comps, that are speady, but generally decent enough (xp 2.8ghz-1g ram).
It takes maybe 20 seconds to compile, then another 30 seconds to send to unit.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide,
JB

What size are the sketches being uploaded?
What OS?

I run on a 1.8Ghz with 1GB RAM (with Windows 7 Ultimate) at home and don't experience the slow speeds you are mentioning.

Even the most basic sketches (like bare minimum from basic) are super slow (even just the compiling). This computers arent great, but other compiling in other languages do just fine. Is there any tweaking I can do?
Thanks,
JB