Old UPS stopped working

So I opened up this old UPS because I decided to use the battery for a small solenoid project.

I noticed the UPS has some irlb.4132 which I could use. But I remember someone warned me about opening these things because they can store charge in capacitors.

So I want to be careful. What's the best way to discharge the capacitors so I don't get shocked?

A rubber glove and a metal rod connected to a metal surface which is grounded?

Don't forget eye protection.

Thanks awol. But is my idea ok or is there a better way?

The UPS probably stopped working because the battery won't charge, and is now useless.

The UPS stopped working because the battery will not retain its charge under load. But the electronics are fine. Id like to use what I can.

Marciokoko:
So I opened up this old UPS because I decided to use the battery for a small solenoid project.

Why do you mislead the forum?

Why is it misleading?

A 1k ohm resistor on a grounded lead. Don't short a large electrolytic cap unnecessarily, the rest of
the circuit might be damaged, and you might spot-weld the metal rod onto the terminals.

Rubber gloves are not rated as insulated gloves, use an insulated probe like a multimeter probe.

Check the voltage with a multimeter anyway.

In practice if its been days since it was powered up its unlikely to have a stored charge, but
that doesn't mean it cannot, so do test/discharge.

MarkT:
Rubber gloves are not rated as insulated gloves, use an insulated probe like a multimeter probe.

Mind you they are used as such during surgery and are pretty reliable I must say!

MarkT:
In practice if its been days since it was powered up its unlikely to have a stored charge, but that doesn't mean it cannot, so do test/discharge.

A couple of days ago I was fascinated to plug the Welch Allyn power supply ("wall wart") into the charger base for a handpiece before plugging it into the mains and was fascinated to see the charge indicator come up for a second or two! This was after at least two or three days in transit. Clearly if you make genuine professional equipment you use good parts.

Marciokoko:
Why is it misleading?

Cause you said, "I decided to use the battery for a small solenoid project". Then you said, "the battery will not retain its charge". Folks had to switch gears from thinking about the battery to general salvage. Subtly changing the topic causes confusion when used in a text-only medium such as this forum.

Ok I understand.

But I am trying to do both.

1. I want to save the mosfets.

2. I am actually using the battery for the solenoid project.

Oh that's fine, I was just explaining the source of confusion.

Hi,

MarkT:
A 1k ohm resistor on a grounded lead. Don't short a large electrolytic cap unnecessarily, the rest of
the circuit might be damaged, and you might spot-weld the metal rod onto the terminals.

Check the voltage with a multimeter anyway.

In practice if its been days since it was powered up its unlikely to have a stored charge, but
that doesn't mean it cannot, so do test/discharge.

I agree,use a multimeter in DC, and check each cap you suspect.
Tom... :slight_smile: