RANT ALERT: All the college / uni project questions

GoForSmoke:
Yeah but you're probably competent on your own.

Thanks, yes. I worked in engineering for my career (retired now) and have time to play with model RR and Arduinos. In my career I did a lot of data acquisition using LabView and related hardware.

I can actually answer a fair amount of questions I've seen here because a lot are covered by basic engineering and "common sense" but I don't want to be too out front since I'm a newbie here.

And it does seen that a fair amount of these projects seem to be something related to a college lab project or the like - I mean, what have I run across lately: an ethernet controlled coffee pot? Counting chickens and when they lay eggs? I don't mean to say they couldn't be useful "real-world" projects but they sure sound lab-related, something a professor would dream up as a challenge.

Back in the day we couldn't write an email or go to the internet for help or canned answers - no texting, no video chat, and many articles that were useful were just ripped out of the periodical so they didn't exist either. I'd either go to the library or sit at my desk with the related text books and come up with the answer myself, or working with a classmate. Ah the good old days.

I think it's a good resource to have forums for help but I wonder how many students take the time to work out the answer themselves these days?