IDE 1.8.8 won't upload to Nano

I searched without luck on this topic before posting. Recently, I upgraded from IDE 1.8.0 to 1.8.8 (Windows 7 laptop). Everything was going fine, so I thought...compiled and uploaded sketches to UNO R3's, ESP32 and ESP8266 with no problem. Then I went to revise a sketch to a Nano...compiled fine, but I continually received an error message during upload something like, Attempt 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 Error sync Failed to upload. I double checked Board and Port and tried a different Nano...same result. So, I went back to IDE 1.8.0 and the sketch uploaded with no errors. Has anyone experienced this? A solution? Thanks.

Yes, many people have experienced this. Last year, Arduino switched to using a new bootloader in their official Nanos. They updated the Nano board definition to be compatible with the new official Nanos by default. This means that the default Nano definition no longer works with old official Nanos and all Nano clones or derivatives.

The solution is to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader).

pert,
Thank you very much for helping me out again! I tried your suggestion and it worked as you said. I was hoping I could blame Bill Gates!
John

For once, we can't blame Bill.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per