What is the best way to get rid of the standard Arduino IDE ?

Jantje:

jfri:

Jantje:

jfri:

Jantje:
Kepler is not supported.

You should not have installed Avr eclipse plugin. It is confusing and you need to configure both to get it to work.
You probably used the avr upload button when uploading. The other button could have worked. You can read more on he relation between the 2 here This page has been moved

Today I should advice to install Juno CDT and V2 of the plugin. This version has a Arduino menu and uses the Arduino buttons. It doesn't include winavr nor depends on it.

Best regards
Jantje

Well now I have installed
Eclipse Juno Service Release 2 (1.5.2.20130211-1820)
Arduino eclipse extensions (2.1.0.4)
After restarting Eclipse I got the following message
Problem occurred
'Discover compiler built in language settings' has encountered a problem.
Problem running CDT scanner Discovery provider it.baeyens.arduino.languageSettingsprovider
I can't upload any sketch. I see that under Windows/Preferences I only see one item for Arduino and none for paths or avrdude as in the installation instructions. What have I missed now ?

Not sure which installation instructions you are referring to. There is nothing on arv dude in my instructions http://www.eclipse.baeyens.it/Install.html There shoiuld only be Arduino in the preferences.
Version 2 needs Arduino IDE 1.5.2 beta (all other versions will not work)
Best regards
Jantje

I'm referring to the instructions in exactly the same url you posted now. At the bottom of that webpage we see the window preferences and a heading arduino. Under that heading are three items,
Arduino
AVRDude
paths
I only have
Arduino
arduino
On arduino homepage the only beta I find for download is 1.5.4r2. Is later than 1.5.4.2 ok ?

The images indeed contain avrdude but there are no instruction to do any settings there.
Avrdude is there because the images are from V1. In V2 Avrdude is no longer there.
You can find 1.5.2 here http://arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases

Does this mean that version 1.5.2 is necessary and later versions won't work ? Maybe not a big deal now but later when 1.5.2 becomes obsolete I see a potential problem here.